If the shoe fits...

Mar 22, 1995 07:01 PM
by IXCHEL

I think an interesting point is being brought out con-
cerning how to respond or not respond to a personal
challenge. It seems the very essence of Theosophy
and the purpose behind religion can be revealed in a
discussion such as this.

Theosophy claims that humanity is evolving through
phases of development and that at this point we are
in the fourth round and fifth race of this proces-
sion forward. In much time to come we shall be passing
into fields of experience where a more spiritual
nature or response will be the order of the "day."
It is my understanding then that we are now in a tran-
sitional stage whereby we might learn methods of be-
havior that are or will be conducive to a superior
state of being and acting. It is also my understanding
that individuals such as Buddha and Christ and others
were extraordinary persons incarnated to assist "ordin-
ary" persons on the details of how to actual overcome
the shortcomings still inherent within us due to that
fact we are still in the middle phase of our develop-
ment.

The Sermon on the Mount, I believe, is extremely deep
in the direction that is given. However, there is dif-
ficulty in an understanding of its content when one
only gives it a cursory reading. For instance: What
does "blessed are those who _mourn_ for they shall be
comforted" really mean? And what will the blessed who
"hunger and thirst after righteousness" be filled
with? I think there is much more to those teachings
than what is actually found in print.

The discussion on anger that "Jesus" makes, parallels
the teachings of Buddha when he was said to have said,
"Hatred is not appeased by hatred, hatred is appeased
by not hatred only."

The I Ching as well points out that, "He does not hate
him, for hatred is a form of subjective involvement
by which we are bound to the hated object."

Anger and hatred are emotional states that cause us to
act in ways that most often we regret. Some of us can
take a good look at ourselves and _mourn_ over our in-
ability to perform according to the higher Buddhi
state of consciousness which we perceive through the
light of our own conscience. Then there are those who
are in denial that persistently project the cause of
the "problem" onto the other person. These are angry
people who's anger and state of judgment blind them
from seeing their own shortcomings. This is the myster-
ious nature of anger, hatred and judgment. The ego
justifies its superiority by comparing itself to
someone else's "flaws." This is the "sickness" of the
principle of Kama. This is that which needs to be under-
stood and overcome by "following" the MASTERS: those
who have MASTERED their passions and who have found
a way to leave the emotional reactions behind--those
who have achieved a state of being where forgiveness
means they no longer need to react to challenging
provocation by becoming upset (ego threatened). They
well know that this planet is inhabited by unfinished
beings and they are not surprised when their "enemies
are they of their own household."

Among theosophical and other literature there are hints
and instructions given to those who have the guts to
acknowledge that Heart doctrines take precedence over
Eye doctrines and try to live accordingly. But the
details of how to actually gain a measure of control
over the emotional Kama state are fragmented and scat-
tered so that even those who have a major part of the
puzzle formed are yet missing some vital pieces.

I contend, that although the minds are deep, the wall is