Batting theosophists

Mar 20, 1995 05:47 PM
by Murray Stentiford, Scientific Software and Systems Ltd

When feelings of hurt, indignation, contempt, distrust etc etc
run high across the electronic network, it is very reminiscent of
face-to-face confrontations.  The sequences of attitudes and
emotions and pain of the direct participants as you tune in
through the words on the screen.

Barbara Ann Brennan gives a very illuminating account of the
swordplay of energy that can arise between people in her book
"Light Emerging", based on her own HSP observations (Higher Sense
Perception, as she calls it).

She describes 5 main defences that people use when they are
feeling devalued or disliked, such as attack, pleading,
withdrawal or blocking, and traces them all back to the primary
psychic and spiritual wound that we all have, of feeling alone
and cut off from the universal matrix of life-supporting
psycho-spiritual energy.

We bury this wound beneath various more recent pain-bearing
complexes until we do the work of unravelling it all and being
healed.

These defences are ways we learn in our attempts to gain or
retain energy, but they are always second-best and never really
satisfy our inner needs.

She also says that people experience similar energies to
different degrees depending on their own defence tendencies, so
that what one might see as a mild criticism, another might
experience as an attack and betrayal.

Brennan gives comprehensive techniques for coming to see these
processes in ourselves and then transforming them in ways that
affirm ourselves and those we deal with.

A related approach to all this is in James Redfield's book "The
Celestine Prophecy".  Couched as a gripping story, he presents
nine insights about the competition for energy between people as
they try to gain energy in second-best ways.

He ends up painting a picture of how society will be transformed
when people come to the nine insights themselves and learn how to
reconnect with the all-surrounding energy, and how to _give_ each
other energy rather than get it at each other's expense.

Redfield says that when we reconnect this way, the base feeling
that accompanies it is love.

Let's be a little more kindly to each other and a little less
ready to see enemies in each other.

Murray Stentiford