Extracts from Geoffrey Hodson's Occult Diary

Mar 19, 1995 02:50 AM
by Paul Gillingwater

< Light of the Sanctuary
< The Occult Diary of Geoffrey Hodson
< Compiled by Sandra Hodson

For those who may not have seen it, this book (587 pages)
contains edited extracts from the private occult diaries of
Geoffrey Hodson, a noted English theosophist clairvoyant and
seer, who spent much of his later years living in New Zealand.
He wrote dozens of books on theosophical topics, covering The
Spiritual Life, The Powers Latent in Man, The Theosophical
Philosophy of Life, Interpretations of Scriptures and Myths, The
Angelic Hierarchy, Health and Animal Welfare.

The diary entries cover years from 1921 through to soon before
his death at the age of 96 in 1983.  Spanning over 60 years, they
include recorded memories of superphysical experiences, insights
gained from meditation, and most controversially, recorded
statements from theosophical Masters who are in some cases
identified by name.

>From the statements made, it seems that the Masters as seen by
GH seem to take an active interest in the world.

e.g., from an entry in 1963, from one named "Master Kourious",
writing about an unnamed Master:

        "He is exerting Our power to minimize the danger in Crete
        and prevent a rupture in the relationships between Turkey
        and Greece.  At present this is occupying almost the
        whole of His attention, though He is not alone in the
        task, the Lebanese Section also assisting."

It is likely that the Master referred to is the Master Polidorus
Isurenus, who is quoted in the next entry:

        "I greet you from across the blue waters where in Cyprus
        there is a temporary lull in the fighting, though
        smouldering passions and national rivalries constitute a
        tinder-box indeed.  We cool down the astral atmosphere,
        We influence when permissible the psychology of leaders,
        potential trouble-makers, and future saviours of the
        troubled situation."

Another interesting comment from 5 December 1966:

        "As far as you are able, do not encourage or even allow
        Theosophists to anticipate, wait for, and rely upon
        dramatic manifestations in the last quarter of the
        century.  An effort will be made for power to be
        liberated, but it is not likely to be spectacular,
        neither are its results to be immediate.  ...  Immense
        good has been done in spreading into the world-mind and
        the minds of large numbers of individuals, Theosophical
        ideals and teachings, including that of the Path...
        There will be help in the last quarter [of the century]
        and even certain great personalities who might appear at
        certain times.  In consequence, an upsurge of spiritual
        and intellectual awakening, interest and effort is
        likely."

A comment from K.H., 14 September 1971:

        "Yes, I am in the same body and expect to be so for at
        least a hundred years more.  Some of Our Shaberons have
        bodies which are over five hundred years old and
        perfectly efficient.  The Adept, you know, _has_
        discovered and partaken of the Elixir of Life.
        Try, as you are doing, to preserve your own body as long
        as you can, useful as it is both to Us and to yourself.
        For it is a humanity and Adept-serving body....  :-)"

Here's a controversial message, from H.P.B., 5 March 1976:

        "Yes, Centenary message good, Why not circulate it widely
        throughout the Society or your group.  The danger is that
        in looking forward to and bringing about developments in
        the future, the membership may tend to lose sight of,
        touch with, and inspiration from the early years.  Do
        what you can to prevent this, not only in your own work
        but through suggestions to the leaders, the President for
        example."...

                                        H.P.B.  (as I then was)

So, why haven't the Masters been found? Here's a message from the
Master Morya, dated 28 March 1976:

        "None, no one, can see, find, visit either Ourselves or
        Our retreats against Our wills, which are totally
        predominant in this matter of Our personal lives.

        Similarly, no one flying over, travelling, or wandering
        upon the Gobi Desert can see the remains of the buildings
        of what was once the Great White Island in the Gobi Sea.
        This intrusion, My son, into Our personal pprivacy and
        that of the Government of the Brotherhood as a whole, is
        forbidden and with such potency that the greatest of the
        inventions of scientists of today and tomorrow cannot
        enable one single person to enter Our realms against Our
        wishes.

        This is the only claim We make -- that of uninvadable
        privacy.

        Even Our disciples and fellow Initiates, up to a certain
        Degree, who do visit Us, can never do so, can never find
        Us and Our retreats again unless We permit.  THIS IS THE
        ONE UNBREAKABLE STATUTE OF OUR GOVERNMENT--UNINVADABLE
        PRIVACY.

        ..  By the imposition of a maya which not even the
        strongest minds of the most advanced non-Initiate can
        penetrate or dispel.  It is so, My brother, I thus assure
        you."

Later, He again says, when asked by GH how the Masters can remain
undiscovered in this modern world of aeroplanes and modern aerial
cameras and equipment used for scanning terrain and mountainous
areas:

        "The Adepts have powers of which you little dream.  They
        can make a group of homes appear like a bare landscape."

What about Theosophists? Here's a statement from the Master K.H.,
dated 30 December 1978:

        "In both cases, and with many other active members in our
        Society, the need exists to deepen their inner experience
        of the reality of the teachings of Theosophy, so that
        they are really true and known to be, so far as is
        possible to a lecturer.  A certain personal conviction
        then becomes apparent without the necessity for any claim
        being made.

        It is this, the interior experience and the developing
        mystical sense which are so important, if only because
        they take the mind of the worker past mere mental
        knowledge, however necessary, into an increasing measure
        of the certainty of the Truth which is being taught."

22 November 1979: Geoffrey aked the Masters about world affairs
such as those in Kampuchea and Iran and received comment to the
effect that:

        "Our own lives We can and do control.  The lives of Our
        fellow human beings We cannot control, and so must permit
        unavoidable events to occur, deeply regretable though
        they are.  Nevertheless, We assist whereever We may
        permissibly do so; the founding of the TS and drawing
        attention to Theosophy being examples.  Our deep concern
        is always with root causes, and their outworkings.  Every
        basic theosophical principle that is both understood and
        applied to living by a human recipient, is of immense
        value not only to that person but to humanity as a whole;
        for the UNITY principle applies there also."

I hope that the above extracts may provide some food for thought.
Please let me know if you want to hear more....

best wishes

Paul Gillingwater