Re: Letter I

Mar 16, 1995 05:14 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Keith Price:

> 3.  BIG QUESTION - Can someone tell me briefly why the Master KH
> is condescending to begin this correspondence? It seems there was
> a request for some kind of phenomenal "proof" in a newspaper???

The Founders were in Simla as guests of the Sinnetts from 8
September through 21 October, when they departed for Amritsar and
thence Lahore.  On 29 September, Mrs.  Sinnett received a not
from KH in the branches of a tree.  On 3 October, the famous cup
and saucer phenomenon was done by HPB, and later a missing brooch
was produced for Mrs.  Hume.  Sinnett wrote twice to KH in early
October.  Hume also wrote to KH around this time.  Sinnett got
his replies on the 18th and 19th, just before the Founders headed
to Amritsar.

So it seems clear that the decision to communicate with Hume and
Sinnett had been made before HPB and Olcott went to Simla, and
the Masters took the initiative by sending the first message.

Hope this helps.