ML #1

Mar 16, 1995 08:59 AM
by Jerry Schueler

First, let me thank Liesel for typing in Letter 10.  This allows
me to cut and paste easily.  I would like to start the ball
rolling, as it were, with a few of my own comments:

<It is preeminently the science of effects by their causes and of
causes by their effects, and since it is also the science of
things deduced from first principle...>

Here we see karma as the great law of cause and effect.  However,
they say nothing here of synchronicity, and appear to ignore or
be ignorant of acausal possibilites (probably because it would be
over the head of the reader).  The word "preeminently" implies
that there is more here than they are giving out.

<we know there is in our system no such thing as God, either
personal or impersonal>

There is no *anthropomorphic* God, no supreme authority.

<The God of the Theologians is simply an imaginary power>

Amen.

<Our chief aim is to deliver humanity of this nightmnare, to
teach man virtue for its own sake, and to walk in life relying on
himself instead of leaning on a theological crutch, that for
countless ages was the direct cause of nearly all human misery>

This is a profound statement.  It suggests ethics for ethics sake
alone (which I have being advocating for some time).  We invented
religion as a crutch or salve in order to help us face the world,
but instead wind up being even more miserable.  This is doubtless
because of the "my religion is better than yours" attitude that
so many pious believers have.

<(c) because the accumulated experience of countless ages, and
that of exact science show to us matter (not nature) acting by
her own peculiar energy, of which not an atom is ever in an
absolute state of rest, and therefore it must have always
existed, ie, its materials ever changing form ;, combinations and
properties, but its principles or elements being absolutely
indestructible.>

How these guys knew that matter is never at rest and always
changing form, not to mention its "own peculiar energy," back
when this was written is anyone's guess.  Because matter and
energy are interchangable, the idea that matter always existed is
not far-fetched at all.  The theosophical teaching that matter
and spirit are dualities, two sides of the same coin, also
indicates that matter is as ancient and long-lasting as spirit.

< Evil has no existence per se and is but the absence of good and
exists but for him who is made its victim>

I believe that I have used this quote before.  I would like to
put it on a wall plack and hang it up where I can see it every
day.

< Nature is destitute of goodness or malice; she follows only
immutable laws when she either gives life & joy, or sends
suffering & death, and destroys what she has created.>

This sounds a lot like Shakespear's nothing is good or evil but
thinking makes it so.  The whole concept of good and evil is just
that - a human concept or interpretation (false) of our world.
This leads right into "Humanity then alone is the true source of
evil." I think that our search for evil must begin within
ourselves.  Our desire for its erradication must also begin
within ourselves.

< I will point out the greatest, the chief cause of nearly two
thirds of the evils that pursue humanity ever since that cause
became a power.  It is religion under whatever form and in
whatsoever nation>

This is another of my very favorite quotes.  Note that they
include Buddhism in the same hat with the others, even though
Buddhism has never had a holy war and strongly advocates peace,
charity, and compassion.

<Meditation here means the superhuman (not supernatural)
qualities, or arhatship in its highest of spiritual powers>

This cryptic phrase seems to imply the necessity of obtaining a
mystical experience or samadhi, which, in fact, is taught by
virtually all Eastern gurus and adepts.

I think you can see from the above that I love this letter, and
have no quarrels with what it is saying.  Although written a long
time ago, I can't see where much is outdated or no longer useful
or applicable.  Most of it could have been written yesterday.

          Jerry S.