Re: HPB vs the Church

Mar 11, 1995 01:04 AM
by Astrea

"K. Paul Johnson" <pjohnson@leo.vsla.edu> writes:

> Finally, I would suggest that the later you go in HPB's writing
> career, the less you find disrespectful attitudes toward any
> religion, and the more you find an effort to harmonize them all.

I noticed, when reading the ML, that they started off extremely
anti-Christian.  However, further toward the end, the writers,
especially KH, seemed to mellow considerably on the
subject.  From memory, didn't the Mahachohan decide that Anna
Kingsford should be the President of the London Lodge, even though
she was promoting Hermetic Christianity? I think there was some
discussion of Christianity in that context.  Her other noteworthy
attributes included being vegetarian and antivivasectionist.

I think there is also a passage somewhere in the ML where it is
suggested that the GWB has members from many different countries
and traditions, which would, no doubt, include the
judeo-christian tradition.

ASTREA