Re: The "name"....

Mar 04, 1995 05:01 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <01HNS39181OI8ZGVXY@delphi.com> theos-l@vnet.net
writes:

> To Alan,
>
> You state, "The name Jesus _probably_ originates etc..
> .."      PROBABLY????

> You say, "Jesus" means "He saves."  This "name" is an
> idea/statement/message. _He_ the pronoun, and _saves_,
> the verb. I think the key to the matter lies in the
> meaning of the verb.

I could not agree more - eg., saves _from what_? :-)
This is the translation of the [Hebrew'Aramaic] name offered by
scholars - they may be right or wrong, hence "Probably."

> I don't believe that if one simply believes in Jesus
> or believes he is the Lord of something, one is thus
> saved. But there must be a reason that some folks
> claim that this person has the power to save,

Dunno about that, but it was a fairly common name in Jesus' (or
Joshua's) day so far as we know from history.  Like how many
Mexicans _today_ are called Jesus?

> The Yod as you indicate is related to the pronoun HE.
> The question is: Does Yah also indicate HE, and is
> the Je in Jesus related to HE as well?

> Sarah

I don't recall indicating this at all.  We might get further in
this if you could say how much Hebrew [written as Hebrew] you are
familiar with? "Jesus" or "Jesu" is the English rendering of the
_Greek_ version of his name.  As I said somewhere, the Aramaic
uses "Ishoo" spelt Yod, Shin, Ayin for his name.  As this appears
to have been his own language, I go for that.

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes?

Alan.