Re: God

Mar 01, 1995 01:07 AM
by Astrea

Jerry Schueler <76400.1474@compuserve.com> writes:

> Paul Gillingwater: "Does God exist? According to ML, most
> assuredly not."
>
> I think that the answer to this one depends on how we define God.
>  HPB was not an atheist, and neither am I.  Mary Baker Eddy,
> founder of Christian Science, taught that God is Life, Truth,
> Love, Mind, Soul, Principle, and Spirit.  While I am no longer a
> Christian Scientist, I still agree with her definition of God.

The Judeao-christian conception of God appears to favour the
creation of the world out of nothing by a single creator.  In the
Buddhist world view (correct me if I'm wrong) the universe has
always existed, but there is a kind of ultimate reality or
consciousness we can attain to.  Certainly we can subscribe to a
kind of Absolute Spirit, but this is not God in the generally
accepted sense in a Christian society.  I think this is probably
what KH meant when he said there is no God.  He went on to laugh
at this rather primative notion of a father-figure picking His
teeth with a lightening bolt.

ASTREA