Karma, Causality & the Occult

Feb 15, 1995 03:41 PM
by Murray Stentiford, Scientific Software and Systems Ltd

Replying to Keith Price:

> When talking about sychronicity being acausal to the senses, but
> caual on the occult planes, we begin to speculate or claim to
> have knowledge or at least an intuition of something
> supernatural.  We are on very dangerous ground here it would seem
> as much of the "truth" accepted for centuries now appears as
> pretty silly, such as the stars circle the earth attached to a
> globe that is moved by angels etc.

If the supernatural puts us on dangerous ground, then the TS is in deep
trouble!

Depends how you take the word, of course.  From a theosophical
viewpoint, there is nothing super-natural, as everything "below"
the Absolute is within nature, an expression of cosmic law.

Speculation there is aplenty.  The TS is very good at it, but how
else do we explore? Where the mind hasn't already been, the feet
are not likely to take us to.

HPB in her first Fundamental Proposition of The Secret Doctrine
said that all speculation on the Ultimate Cause is impossible,
but it didn't stop her going on to try and put it into words to
give us an idea.

The centuries are littered with the corpses of old theories and
speculations, but that is what happens to them when humanity
moves on to something better.  They all sound more or less silly
now.

The seeker after spiritual insight often strives to understand
and perceive things that are a bit (or a lot!) beyond them.
There's no doubt there are dangers to this, but it is life
itself, for that sort of person.

I like the definition of "occult" as hidden, too.  As most of us
will know, that is its original meaning, and it's still used that
way in medicine (occult blood) and astronomy (occultation of a
star by the moon).

It's just a pity the word has got a lot of flaky associations in
the public mind.

Murray Stentiford
murray@sss.co.nz