Re: Alexandra West

Feb 01, 1995 02:54 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Paul Gillingwater:

> I have also visited Adyar, and have seen the archives.  As far as
> I can tell, they don't deny access to serious students and
> researchers.  Even non-members such as John Cooper are welcome,
> but people should have some idea what they're looking for so as
> not to waste time.  The caveats you

My experience conflicts with this assessment.  In 1990 I went to
Adyar to do research on Theosophical history.  I wrote to Dorothy
A.  asking her to inform Radha I was coming (having been told
that's how one proceeds).  Although I'll never know what she
wrote, it has been reported to me that she regarded my research
and writing as dangerous.  Anyhow, three other researchers NONE
OF THEM TS MEMBERS were welcomed into the archives during my
stay.  But Radha denied me access by sending word that it would
be impossible "because there was no archivist on duty." FYI I
joined the society in 1978.