Re: A Survey

Dec 27, 1994 08:12 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to MGRAYE@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU:

> (1) What 12 titles would you recommend an inquirer of Theosophy
> to read and study?

The Key to Theosophy, The Voice of the Silence, An Abridgment of
the S.D., Old Diary Leaves Vol.  1, Ancient Wisdom Revived,
beyond this it would depend on the inquirer.  (Is that cheating?)

> (2) What titles by H.P.B.  would you suggest that a new student
> to Theosophy should read first?

The Key, the Voice.

> (3) If you were exiled to a deserted, isolated island for the
> rest of your life, what 12 Theosophical titles would you be sure
> to take with you?

Isis, SD, Caves & Jungles, Old Dairy Leaves, HPB (Cranston),
Collected Writings vols.  Miscellaneous (XIV?) and the one with
the E.S.  papers (XIII?), Dialogues of G.  de P., Light on the
Path, Voice of the Silence, The Theosophical Enlightenment, The
Elder Brother.

> (4) What is the best introductory biography on H.P.B.? How many
> are in print? Cranston wins by default.

> (5)  What is the best introductory book on Theosophy?

Depends on the reader.  The Key, Ellwood's Theosophy, Purucker's
Fundamentals of the Esoteric Philosophy are contenders.

> (6) Should a new student to Theosophy read ISIS UNVEILED, THE
> SECRET DOCTRINE AND THE MAHATMA LETTERS? Or should he/she read
> other simpler, introductory books first and then later read I.U,
> S.D.  and M.L.? Reasons?

Definitely the Abridged SD before the full one.  Few will absorb
much of the latter without a background of several other books.
The MLs only after reading some history of the period, maybe
Campbell.

> (7) Can you recommend one or two good, reliable commentaries on
> H.P.B.'s SECRET DOCTRINE?

Fundamentals of the Esoteric Philosophy.

> (8) If you had the chance to open a book store, what 12
> Theosophical works would sure to be on your shelves?

Same as 3, except replace the CW volumes with guess who's books
from SUNY Press.

> If you have comments on any of these questions in addition to the
> simple listing of the titles, please feel free to give them.  I
> look forward to your replies! Once again thanks for participating
> in this survey.

Yes-- 12 is too many!  Ask people for 5 or 6 and you'll
probably get better response.  Good luck!