Keep Up the Good Work

Nov 09, 1994 05:05 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

This is by Eldon Tucker

---- Keep Up the Good Work

       First, thanks to everyone for all the
congratulations over the new baby. He's doing fine now
at almost two-weeks of age.

       I have been thinking about our mailing list, and
would like to ask everyone what they think about it.
       There are different models for what happens on the
list, and they correspond to other areas of
communication. If we were having a group meeting, there
would be (a) question asking, (b) short discussion-
stimulating questions or comments, (c) lengthy replies
to previous postings (group discussion with some people
being more long-winded than others), and (d) lectures or
presentations (essay-style writings).
       My impression is that all these forms of
communication can coexist. There is a place for
theosophical writings, prepublication review of
articles, etc. I've adopted that style myself, not
because I want to stay aloof and not engage anyone in
conversation, but rather because I want to cover one or
a few points in more depth. My manner of participation
is to use recent postings to suggest what to write
about.
       I've received some negative reactions to the
approach that I've been taking. I'm not trying to preach
at anyone, nor to attack any particular person's view in
some "passive aggressive" manner. I've also received
some fairly positive reaction to what I've written.
       When writing on a topic, my goal is to write
plainly, simply, and with nothing held back. I'm often
attracted to difficult topics where it is easy, if one
is not careful, to mislead rather than communicate. Some
people may take another approach and either keep to
simple topics or to choose an exoteric garb for their
ideas. They may give a half-truth, something more easy
to accept to people with a materialistic western
background, out of fear of scaring away newcomers.
       The choice of what to communication and what to
hold back or veil is a difficult one. My basic
assumption is that if someone is really ready for
Theosophy, they will embrace it, regardless of its garb.
There is a fundamental attraction, a sense of "I knew
this!" and a feeling of having come home. Someone just
need find a book and start reading, and an inner
connection is established, a connection reestablished
with the Teachings from previous lifetimes.
       For these people, we need not timidly call
Theosophy a "synthesis of the best of the world's
religions," as it might in public meetings of some T.S.
branches. We can plainly say that it is an introductory
presentation of  the Ancient Wisdom, of a semi-divine
revelation of the gods. We can say that Theosophy is
based upon knowledge originally given by the Dhyani-
Chohans to the Mahatmas, the elect of mankind, in an
extremely ancient era of history.
       I recognize, of course, that much of Theosophy
would be considered "nonsense" by the majority of
westerners, except perhaps those with an exposure to
Buddhism or Eastern Philosophy. Because of this, I'd
likely avoid forums where I'd be outnumbered by those
whom would attack the Teachings and where I'd buried in
hate mail.
       Why do we choose the approaches that we do? Should
we err on the side of saying too little or too much? It
is best to keep our mouths shut, keeping our ideas to
ourselves, and only offering occasional suggestions,
hints, or questions to stimulate the thinking of others?
That approach is as much the playing of teacher to
others as the approach where we go into detail to
explain what we know or think. With either approach we
run the risk of smugness, of feeling we know more than
others, of wanting to tell them to "get real and see the
light"--e.g. change their thinking to agree with us.
       On the one hand, someone may say "you write too
much," meaning he's heard too many ideas that he would
respond to, and possibly disagree with, and just doesn't
have time to keep up. On the other hand, someone may
find issue with people whom keep silent on their views,
and see that as fear to have those ideas stand up to the
light of day and risk challenge or exposing flaws in the
ideas.
       A fair middle ground might be where we write when
we have something that we feel is important to say,
something that we care about and value. This is not
writing that is obsessive, lacking in inner life,
repetitive and boring. It is writing with a sense of
enjoyment, with a sense of excitement, a feeling of
wonder and of exploration of the deeper mysteries of
life. This writing may touch on old, frequently-visited
themes. But it is akin to playing the same piece of
music, one that deeply touches us, again and again, as
the feeling strikes us and we are drawn to play or
listen to it yet another time.
       I'm saddened to hear some people say that a study
of the basic Teachings is now boring to them, that is it
the "same old stuff", now lifeless, trivial, devoid of
any sense of specialness. It's sad to hear that the well
has run dry for them and that they must renew their
search as inquirers. The Teachings have not lost their
value as a Gateway to the Mysteries!
       There is a mixed nature of participants in our
group, some unfamiliar with Theosophy, some mildly
interested in it, with mixed belief and disbelief, and
others sincerely believing in it--be that belief
"reasoned certitude" or based upon other forms of
conviction. It's hard to say anything without both
agreement and disagreement.
       One experience, though, is shared by all of us that
stick it out, and don't drop out after hearing something
"too objectionable to tolerate". That is: flexibility of
mind and the ability to tolerate different points of
view. It's easy to surround ourselves with people whom
agree with us and never have to deal with our ideas and
basic assumptions about life (worldview) being
questioned. In "theos-l", we find those basic
assumptions held up to question on a regular basis. My
suggestion to everyone: keep up the good work!