Re Group karma

Oct 21, 1994 04:18 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Jim Santucci<I have a question that is puzzling me.  Does anyone
have information on the origins of the concept of group karma
(race, family, nation, etc.).  In my readings, there is no
reference--at least no overt reference--to the concept in
Buddhism although Reichenberg in his book, Karma, states that
Theravade alludes to it.  >

In THE TIBETAN BOOK OF THE LIVING AND DYING by Sogyal Rinpoche,
he writes "There are many kinds of karma: international karma
national karma, the karma of a city, and individual karma.  All
are intricaetly interrelated, and only understood in theor full
complexity by an enlightened being." p 92

Although his book is new (1992) I think that he is speaking of a
long-standing Tibetan viewpoint here.

Jerry S.