Re: 1900 Letter

Oct 05, 1994 09:39 AM
by Michael W. Grenier

Random thoughts:

I find the letter to be fascinating. The following
points, especially:

1. Ask him [those seeking entrance] not what he believes.

2. The essence of the higher thoughts of the members in
   their collectivity must guide all action in the
   T.S. and E.S.

3. It is the collective aspect of many such thoughts that
   can give the correct note of action.

It is difficult for me to understand how one group first discerns
what the collective higher thoughts are and then use them to
guide all action with it developing into a creed.

How do you collect the higher thoughts of the members without
asking for their beliefs? (assuming one believes in one's
thoughts)

This goes back to the previous issues that we have discussed
concerning how the society decides which books are appropiate for
publication.

Somehow, we must to some common beliefs as a society - perhaps,
though, it is the process that counts and not the final beliefs.
Still - is not the Secret Doctrine a document which discribes a
set of beliefs? Or is it the Society's position that the Secret
Doctrine represents the view of only one member? - yet I doubt
that it would publish much in the way of opposing viewpoints.

   -Mike Grenier
----
Michael W. Grenier    mike@planet8.sp.paramax.com
612-456-7869          Unisys - Air Traffic Control