Ethics and ignorance

Aug 29, 1994 07:09 AM
by Aki Korhonen

I think that Gautama Buddha's statement: " The ignorance is the
worst sin." Can be understood as a ethical advice.  What is the
opposite of ignorance? Knowledge and understanding.  I interpret
it so, that if people would know and understand what are the
consequences of their deeds, they would not commit a bad ones.  I
believe, that a true morality is based on such things, as
understanding.

The normal way of ethics is, that we are given a certain set of
rules but not explanation why it is essential to be moral.
Nowaday's people won't take such advice seriously, and they are
right.

Knowing can be of two kinds.  The first way is normal
intellectual way.  We know something by rationalising, and we may
even comprehend the matter, speak of it, etc.  The second way is
that we know something by experience.  The best knowing is, if we
have both.  It is no much good, if have some experience, but
don't comprehend them.

Many times people understand why some ethical rules are
necessary, but they don't have experiences related to it.  So
they don't know by their own experience what follows, if they
cross the advice and what if they live by it.  So they forget
about it.

I think, that if we are un-ethic or unmoral, life and karma hits
us in some way.  If we lack the theory, we don't know what and
why we are hit.  Then the correct ethical rules are in place.

The best way to judge a moral advice, is to put it into practice.
To actually test it.  From your experience you notice, if it is a
good or a bad one.  If it works or not.  Peace.  aki.

Oulu, Finland.