Brazilian Research

Aug 26, 1994 01:04 AM
by OSMAR DE CARVALHO

     The NDC/SP, Cultural Department Nucleus of the Brazilian
     T.S.  in the State of Sao Paulo, has made a research with
     the members of T.S.  in Brazil.  We mailed questionnaires
     for all the members and received answers of about 10% of the
     1200 associates.  The questionnaire intended to draw a
     profile of the average brazilian theosophist, his opinions
     on cultural and organizational issues, and his impressions
     about some new activities we have in plan.  We believe it
     may help to conduce the cultural and political actions in
     our country.  The final results are listed below:

     A) Age

     18/25:   7,41%  \
                      |   22,22%
     25/35:  14,81%  /

     35/45:  23,46%  \            \
                      |   58,03%   |
     45/60:  34,57%  /             |    77,78%

     60+  :  19,75%               /

     B) School graduation: (Brazilian standards)

     University Graduate: 77,38%  Secondary:19,05%  Primary: 3,57%

     C) Civil State:

     Married: 44,05%   Single: 44,05%  Widow: 5,95%  Divorced: 5,95%

     D) What themes would you like to be covered by theosophical
     publications?  (multiple choice)

 1-  Esoteric Philosophy   - 65,59%  12- Hermetism             - 40,86%
     Occult Sciences       - 65,59%      Western Occultism     - 40,86%
 2-  Mistery Schools       - 60,22%      Vegetarianism         - 40,86%
 3-  Ethics                - 51,61%  13- Neurolinguistics      - 39,78%
 4-  Alternative Medicine  - 49,46%  14- Cabala                - 38,71%
 5-  Buddhism              - 48,39%  15- Science               - 36,56%
 6-  T.S. History          - 47,31%  16- Philosophy            - 36,56%
 7-  Christianity          - 46,24%  15- Magic                 - 35,48%
 8-  Ecology               - 45,48%  16- Psychology            - 34,41%
 9-  Oriental Philosophy   - 45,16%  17- Masonry               - 33,33%
     Holism                - 45,16%  18- Occultist Novel       - 24,73%
 10  Yoga                  - 43,01%  19- Xamanism              - 21,51%
 11- Education             - 41,94%
     Clairvoyant Research  - 41,94%
     Eastern Religions     - 41,94%

     E)- Did you believe that a introductory course by mail would
     benefit the brazilian T.S.?

     YES: 91,11%
     NO :  8,89%

     F)- Would you sign a periodical whose objective would be to divulge
     the opinions and researches of brazilian T.S. members:

     YES: 85%
     NO : 15%

     G) Would you participate of a effort whose main objective is the
     interchange of ideas among brazilian T.S. members?

     YES: 84,15%
     NO : 15,85%

     H) Are you favorable to professional T.S. activities?

     YES: 39,29%
     NO : 60,71%

     I) Are you favorable to the realization of a plebiscite in the T.S.
     in occasions of statutory changes relative to the members
     representational system, patrimony issues and right and duty of
     the members?

     YES: 89%
     NO : 11%

     J) In your opinion, what is the best representational system for
     the members of the Theosophical Society?

     Direct  : 60,47%
     Indirect: 39,53%

     (Forgive the errors of english formulation)

     Hugs from Brazil!

     Osmar *|)

     osmardc@bra000.canal-vip.onsp.br