Re: WESAK

Aug 18, 1994 12:36 PM
by Astrea

jhe@koko.csustan.edu (Jerry Hejka-Ekins) writes:

>      A friend upon returning from Adyar once told me that he had
> observed there that the official policy concerning Leadbeater was
> "that he doesn't exist, and there is nothing wrong with him in
> the first place."  Thank you for your experiences, which seems to
> confirm my friend's.

I like it!  A witty way of describing things there. :-)

>      Concerning the video, I would very much like to see it.  Is
> it for sale?  Where might I be able to obtain this video?

I saw it in New Zealand.  You could contact the Headquarters in
Auckland, and maybe someone could help you there.  It was shown at a
Convention, so it should be well known.  If you don't have the address
let me know and I can supply it.

>  Who would have the background information on this group?

Its best to see the video.  It's just a group of Australians who wanted
to see some Buddhist festivals.  They went to Thailand (I think - I
wasn't really concentrating on this part) where they met a monk who
invited them to a Wesak celebration in Tibet which is not usefully open
to westerners.  The monk seemed to be a very ordinary, humble monk, but
after escorting them to the desolate spot for the celebration, he was
revealed to be one of the senior lamas, in full regalia etc.  It was of
"home video" quality ie not professionally made, and undoubtedly
genuine, in my opinion.

> Can it be
> substantiated that this is a group has been meeting at least
> before 1908?--which is about the time Leadbeater first shared his
> "vision."

I don't think so, although it was clearly a well-established
tradition. It doesn't really touch on that point.  Why should
it? The Aussies had never heard of CWL or the TS.

> Or is it possible, that this ceremony was set up in
> imitation of the one portrayed by Leadbeater?

Extremely unlikely that hundreds if not thousands of tibetans and other
asian people would make an arduous pilgrammage in subzero conditions to
an extremely remote location, and then enact a beautiful and elaborate
ceremony just to imitate CWL.  I doubt most could read English anyway.

> light of his dark side.  For instance, I had a recent
> conversation with someone who just finished reading ~The Elder
> Brother.~  She made the comment, that she found it hard to accept
> anything that CWL taught concerning invisible planes etc.,
> considering that fact that he couldn't tell the truth concerning
> his age, number of people in his family, his profession, his
> father's profession etc.  I think this is also a reasonable
> position.

I can see the point.  But still I judge the value of the writing on its
own merits, and how I feel about it.  I feel there is quite a lot of
truth in much of his writing - but not all.  Some was quite fanciful
and probably the result of an over-active imagination.

ASTREA