GAME CHARACTERS 2

May 08, 1994 08:02 PM
by daratman

The Lucy & Charlie Brown example, part 2

The sociological and spiritual perspectives provide much to be
discussed regarding this deceptively simple case scenario.  It points
out the awesome power of the person in control of the Lie (Every Liar
must first know the Truth, and then know the comparitive results of
Revealing the Truth and Constructing a particular Lie).  This takes a
lot of practice.

Real Snakes must (A) move on from Turkey to Turkey, because most
abruptly turn Ratty upon their enlightenment, or (B) build a sturdy
self-supporting Deceit System that moves the Turkeys close to the Star
Experience, without revealing that the System even exists.  This keeps
them coming back for more.

Charlie Brown, of course, could take control of his own destiny merely
by refusing to play with Lucy again, asking someone else to hold the
ball for him, or making a hole in the dirt so the ball stands by
itself.  But then Lucy would not be there.  So these countless little
co-dependent scenes replay themselves until one or more players change
their roles or leave.  This is a rather mundane perspective.

Now imagine that Lucy is a serial killer, a ruthless dictator, or the
owner of a cotton plantation in the Old South.  Charlie Brown may be
coerced into playing his part in a variety of ways for a number of
reasons, perhaps to spare any harm coming to his beloved Snoopy.
Charlie then becomes deceitful in a different way, and for a different
cause.

These are the kinds of situations we're faced with unraveling.  They
are what create mysteries and intrigues.  They are what inhibit human
growth and shackle the spirit.  They are constructed of the fine arts
of Deceit.  We must learn to use our tools of Truth a whole lot better.

The Game, in other words, is already here.  We're not creating it.
We're in it.  We're discovering, symbolizing, and rev ealing it.