Planet Neptune

Feb 18, 1994 05:14 PM
by Andrew Rooke

The question arose recently on theos-l concerning the planet
Neptune's status in the brotherhood of the solar system. Perhaps a
few thoughts on this subject may be of interest:

According to theosophy, as I understand it, although Neptune, its twin
Uranus, and tiny companion Pluto are held in the gravitational
embrace of the Sun, they do not belong to the family of the Seven
Sacred Planets which as conscious living entities cooperate in the
building and subsequent evolutionary history of our Earth. Whereas
Uranus belongs to the "universal solar system" (as defined by G de
Purucker) of visible and invisible planets comprising the solar
constitution, Neptune and Pluto are celestial visitors which intruded
into the outer reaches of our system, perhaps during the chaos of
solar and planetary formation billions of years ago. Just as the
planets have captured some of their moons, the sun may have captured
embryonic Neptune when it passed sufficiently close to the "universal
solar system on its own plane of being". This may account for several
of the peculiarities of Uranus and Neptune observed by Voyager 2 and
noted over 100 years ago by HP Blavatsky in the Secret Doctrine:
"There is a whole poem on the pregenetic battles fought by the
growing planets before the final formation of the Kosmos, thus
accounting for the seemingly disturbed position of the systems of
several planets, the plane of the satellites of some (of Neptune and
Uranus, for instance, of which the ancients knew nothing it is said)
being tilted over, thus giving them an appearance of retrograde
motion." - p.101

"The true Eastern Occultist will maintain that, whereas there are
many yet undiscovered planets in our system, Neptune does not belong
to it, his apparent connection with our sun and the influence of the
latter upon Neptune notwithstanding. The connection is mayavic,
imaginary, they say." -p.102
"Nor do the two last discovered great planets depend entirely on the
Sun like the rest of the planets. Otherwise, how explain the fact
that Neptune receives 900 times less light than our Earth, and Uranus
390 times less, and that their satellites show a peculiarity of
inverse rotation found in no other planets of the Solar System. At
any rate, what we say applies to Uranus, though recently the fact
begins again to be disputed." - 575.

This solar process of cometary and planetary capture is comparable to
the micro-universe of the atom that captures and discards electrons.
Eventually, Neptune and perhaps Pluto will leave the solar system
after their karmic visit has ended. This possibility is supported by
recent research on the mathematics of chaos as it applies to the
motion of the outer planets at MIT, in Canada and Italy. Canadian
researchers, using computer models that behaved like the solar
system, noted that if the particles started out between Uranus and
Neptune " the orbits of roughly half of them became chaotic enough
over 5 billion years to be ejected from the solar system." Astronomy
May 1990 pp.34-39.

Discussions of Neptune and Uranus appear in G de Purucker's Fountain-
Source of Occultism pp.324-5, and his Fundamentals of the Esoteric
Philosophy pp.522-3.

With good wishes to all,
Andrew