Planet Neptune

Feb 18, 1994 06:01 PM
by Andrew Rooke

The question arose recently on theos-l concerning the planet Neptune's
status in the brotherhood of the solar system.  Perhaps a few thoughts
on this subject may be of interest:

According to theosophy, as I understand it, although Neptune, its twin
Uranus, and tiny companion Pluto are held in the gravitational embrace
of the Sun, they do not belong to the family of the Seven Sacred
Planets which as conscious living entities cooperate in the building
and subsequent evolutionary history of our Earth.  Whereas Uranus
belongs to the "universal solar system" (as defined by G de Purucker)
of visible and invisible planets comprising the solar constitution,
Neptune and Pluto are celestial visitors which intruded into the outer
reaches of our system, perhaps during the chaos of solar and planetary
formation billions of years ago.  Just as the planets have captured
some of their moons, the sun may have captured embryonic Neptune when
it passed sufficiently close to the "universal solar system on its own
plane of being".  This may account for several of the peculiarities of
Uranus and Neptune observed by Voyager 2 and noted over 100 years ago
by HP Blavatsky in the Secret Doctrine: "There is a whole poem on the
pregenetic battles fought by the growing planets before the final
formation of the Kosmos, thus accounting for the seemingly disturbed
position of the systems of several planets, the plane of the satellites
of some (of Neptune and Uranus, for instance, of which the ancients
knew nothing it is said) being tilted over, thus giving them an
appearance of retrograde motion." - p.101 "The true Eastern Occultist
will maintain that, whereas there are many yet undiscovered planets in
our system, Neptune does not belong to it, his apparent connection with
our sun and the influence of the latter upon Neptune notwithstanding.
The connection is mayavic, imaginary, they say." -p.102 "Nor do the two
last discovered great planets depend entirely on the Sun like the rest
of the planets.  Otherwise, how explain the fact that Neptune receives
900 times less light than our Earth, and Uranus 390 times less, and
that their satellites show a peculiarity of inverse rotation found in
no other planets of the Solar System.  At any rate, what we say applies
to Uranus, though recently the fact begins again to be disputed." -
575.  This solar process of cometary and planetary capture is
comparable to the micro-universe of the atom that captures and discards
electrons.  Eventually, Neptune and perhaps Pluto will leave the solar
system after their karmic visit has ended.  This possibility is
supported by recent research on the mathematics of chaos as it applies
to the motion of the outer planets at MIT, in Canada and Italy.
Canadian researchers, using computer models that behaved like the solar
system, noted that if the particles started out between Uranus and
Neptune " the orbits of roughly half of them became chaotic enough over
5 billion years to be ejected from the solar system." Astronomy May
1990 pp.34-39.  Discussions of Neptune and Uranus appear in G de
Purucker's Fountain- Source of Occultism pp.324-5, and his Fundamentals
of the Esoteric Philosophy pp.522-3.

With good wishes to all,
Andrew