Paul Johnson's book IN SEARCH OF THE MASTERS

Dec 21, 1993 06:40 PM
by HOBB

 by Terry Hobbes, Boston, MA (hobb@delphi.com)

In a recent message Mr. Johnson mentioned that his book IN SEARCH OF
THE MASTERS would be published in a new edition by SUNY.  Almost six
months ago I bought a copy in a local used book store and read it from
cover to cover.  Soon after I saw Mr. Johnson's article on the Masters
in the Summer issue of GNOSIS.  I can't believe that more theosophical
students have not publicly criticized his book especially his fanciful
speculations on the Master K.H. and M.  A friend of mine who lives in
Tampa recently sent me a photocopy of Daniel Caldwell's TWO OPEN
LETTER TO PAUL JOHNSON ON HIS BOOK IN SEARCH OF THE MASTERS.  Mr.
Caldwell does a good job at showing the weakness of Johnson's
speculation.  Mr. Johnson ignores the testimony of numerous chelas who
saw and talked with the Masters.  I called my friend to ask where more
copies of Caldwell's book can be purchased.  He said a copy can be
bought for $8.00 from ---  Daniel Caldwell, Post Office Box 1844,
Tuscon, Arizona 85702.  Does anyone on the theosophical network know
if Mr. Johnson has replied to Dan Caldwell's questions.  I would like
to see Johnson's answers.