AAB and HPB

Nov 02, 1993 08:21 AM
by Arvind Kumar

Jerry, H., hi, let me insert comments/questions in your previous
message. and later on I'll do the same to your last message which I
got yesterday. It is a pleasure to engage in this work!
Best Regards/Arvind

> If you are familiar with Bailey's 24
> volumes, I am deeply interested in having a comparative
> discussion  with you.  My purpose would be to compare the
> writings to see where they agree and/or don't agree.  I'm more
> knowledgeable about Blavatsky than Bailey, but if your
> familiarity with Bailey is comprehensive enough, I think we can
> have a fruitful dialogue.  As I recall, you said that you like
> both Blavatsky and Bailey. I responded that Blavatsky is more
> appealing to me.  I had done some preliminary comparative
> research on Bailey/Blavatsky about five or six years ago, but
> other obligations left the work unfinished.  I'm very interested
> in continuing this research, and if you are also interested, we
> can accomplish much more in dialogue.

Is your work of six years ago documented in any way? If yes, I'd like
to get a copy of the same.

>      In order to maximize the productiveness of this inquiry,
> there would be a couple of ground rules that I would suggest: 1.
> That information exchanged be backed up by evidence, and opinions
> be supported by a rationale. 2. That the source of any quote be
> cited, and care is taken that the quote is not used out of
> context.
>      I hope that others on the net will also feel free to make
> input, and that they also respect the above.
>      Assuming you are interested in this type of exploration, I
> will "kick the ball off" by responding to some of your statements
> to Eldon:
>      You expressed the opinion that Bailey "was the person that
> HPB had predicted will appear in the 20th century to carry
> further the work that she (HPB) had started in the 19th century."
> You cannot be referring to H.P.B.'s statement that another effort
> will be made in 1975, since Bailey died around 1948 or 49.
> Therefore you must be referring to some prediction H.P.B. made
> that I'm unfamiliar with.  Would you kindly direct me to where I
> can find this prediction in H.P.B.'s writings?

I am reading SD currently and although I do not have the page number
(I did not note it down a couple or three weeks ago when I was on that
page) I do know that she (HPB) has indicated  that someone will come
in the 20th century and "explain more of SD"; this is also hinted at
in the Introduction or preface to the "Treatise on Cosmic Fire".  In
addition, HPB has indicated that the 'Hierarchy' sends a 'massenger'
towards the last quarter of every century.  I do not know who that
messanger is for this century, the only person that comes to my mind
who  may have started the teaching in 1975 is Benjamine Creme, who
claims that the Lord Christ ('Maitreya') has taken a physical body and
is waiting for the 'right' time to make himself known. Are you
familiar with this and the associated publications like "Share
International". Benjamin Creme (a British artist) has written several
books (some of which I have read). In one of them, by the way, he
comments on the initiatory status of HPB (4.0) and AAB (3.3). Some of
the material he has published is hard to reconcile for some people but
I for one cannot refute anything that he has written (so far).

>      You said: "Can you Eldon (or anyone reading this), point to
> any specific area in which AAB teachings differ from HPB's
> teaching? It appears to me that both of them used mental
> processes (telepathy) to transcribe the information that they
> received from the Hierarchy."
>      Your first question, is of course, the one I hope we will
> explore.  Regarding your second point: I have never seen anywhere
> in Blavatsky's writings or in the Mahatma letters, any mention of
> H.P.B. communicating with a "Hierarchy."  She does claim, however
> to be in communication with various people whom she referred to
> as "Brothers;"  principally the Mahatmas M. and K.H.  But the
> Mahatma letters show these people not as (though enlightened)
> remote demigods, but rather very accessible human beings, whom
> many people were in physical contact.  Among those who knew the
> Mahatmas in the flesh were H.P.B., Olcott, Damodar, and Subba
> Row.  The Mahatma's expressed themselves in very human ways and
> expressed human needs.  For instance, at the end of letter 6,
> K.H. says: "Meanwhile, being *human* I have to rest. I took no
> sleep for over 60 hours."  K.H. also expresses negative emotions.
> In letter 53, K.H., speaking of Hume, says: "I grow sometimes
> very irritated at his petty feelings and spirit of
> vindictiveness..."
>      It is of course true that K.H., if he is still alive, would
> be a different person now.  But the fact still remains that
> H.P.B. was working with human beings with human weaknesses, and
> that their is no reference (as far as I have been able to find),
> to a "hierarchy" such as that outlined by A.A.B.  Would you show
> me where H.P.B. describes this "Hierarchy?"

AAB refers to the 'brothers' of HPB as forming a part of the Spiritual
Hierarchyof this  planet, it is the great Ashram of Sanat Kumara. I
do not see any difference here between HPB and AAB; AAB has never
indicated that the 'brothers' are demi-gods; she has like HPB only
indicated their much more evolved status than that of a normal
aspirant or beginner on the path.

>      In your discussion of James Stephenson's book, you say:
> "Further, she [A.A.B.] believes the sender to be a Tibetan lama
>  named Djwal Khul who had worked in a similar manner with Mrs.
> Helena Petrovna Blavatsky when she wrote The Secret Doctrine,
> first published in 1888."  Does Stephenson give a source where
> Djwal Khul "worked" with H.P.B. on THE SECRET DOCTRINE?  This is
> the first I have ever heard of Djwal Khul's involvement in that
> book.

Stephenson probably has not indicated anywhere in his book as to why
he thinks that HPB got SD from DK but perhaps I can try to explain
from what little I know. DK is himself a Master in one of the Ashrams
under the 'Chauhanship' of the great 2nd Ray Ashram of KH (Ray2,
Subray 3 Ashram is headed by DK). Allusions to DK can be found in the
writings of Leadbeater (I do not remember the book or the page number
from many years ago when I was reading Leadbeater). It appears that
the Hierarchy as a whole has given DK the mandate to give out in
three instalments much of the teaching to be given at this time (the
first instalment was given thru HPB, the second one thru AAB and the
third one will be given in the early 21st century (2025). DK
apparently works in close coordination with the Masters M. and KH.
There is a picture of DK in Leadbeater's "The Masters and the Path",
where he is shown (his picture is hard to see) near the 'homes' of M.
and KH. That is all I'll say for now about this.

>      You close by saying: "What I particularly like about both
> HPB and AAB is their emphasis on selfless service."  Yes I agree,
> H.P.B. certainly tried to emphasize service.  So we on this point
> we have agreement.  Would you please furnish a citation for your
> quote?

Yes, that wonderful quote appeared in an article entitled (I think)
'The Principle of Limitation' by Mary Bailey (Foster's 2nd wife) in
the July-August issue of the 'Beacon' (a bimonthly publication of
Lucis Trust). Someone has borrowed that issue of Beacon from me
(believe it or not, after I had quoted that very quote over dinner to
a friend who is on the path!) So I am not in a  position just now to
quote the book or page number but if you are very serious about
getting the page number etc. all I have to do is to call Sarah
Mchechnie or one of her co-workers at Lucis Trust (phone number
212 982-8770) to get the exact reference (I'll do that if you want me
to).