summary on what is theosophy?

Sep 30, 1993 07:45 AM
by eldon

I think that we've gone, perhaps, as far as we can in giving expression
to our differing ideas about the value and place of Theosophy in the
world. I'll try to wrap up my final words on the subject (although I
reserve the right to comment on yet other ideas that others may bring
up on the matter in the future!)

----

Theosophists have involved themselves in political and humanitarian
efforts, in religious reform, in introducing some of the core concepts
of the Esoteric Philosophy into popular thought. The ways to be useful
to the world are as numerous as the people involved. But outer
appearances can be deceptive; an act that apparently influences the
lives of millions may not be as spiritually consequential as one that
apparently influences one or a few people ...

I agree with Jerry S. that there may be a new western occultism, and
that we each have to determine our own approaches. Self-reliance is
important. In the Mahatma Letters, it mentions how up to the last and
supreme initiation, chelas are left to their own device and counsel.

The was that knowledge of the Masters can be imparted, though, is
different. They mention, and I believe Purucker mentions as well, how
their methods are tried and proven over countless generations. (I'll
try to find some good quotes.) We are talking about two types of
learning: learning in and of the personality, and a second, higher
form of learning that is not personality centered.

I would class the multitude of forms of approaches to the spiritual
in the west, for the most part, as representative of the former,
including Jungian Psychology, Zen Buddhism in the West, many of the
offshoot groups to the original T.S., Alice Bailey, etc. I believe
there is sometime of the higher to be found in the source teachings of
Theosophy. I don't deny the presence of the higher elsewhere, but do
consider it extremely rare and hard to find.

I think that the basic point of disagreement that I might have with
some of the group is my belief in *something special* at the heart of
the theosophical teachings, something not readily found elsewhere,
something of a different nature that the wonderful spiritual things
that can be found all about us. We can leave it at I say it *is* and
someone else might say it *isn't*, and so we see it differently.

What I see is not based upon the style of writing, on the particular
personalities of the authors/teachers, on a fondness of the historic
period that the materials were written. I have found something that for
me represents a productive method of spiritual training. I see myself
not as searching (or "prospecting"), but training (or "mining").

I would consider discussions on the Teachings, and a deep exploration
of them, as being of the highest good. I would leave social reform to
those who feel called to such work as their professions, careers, and
not consider politics nor activities that just affect the outward
conduct of peoples lives as being of consequence. (Perhaps this
statment sounds too extreme ... I would like to see people live higher,
nobler, more spiritual lives, but a change in their behavior without
any inner changes is simply putting off certain types of action, and
not a real improvement.)

----

It is good to be stimulated to both think and give written expression
to our ideas. Putting ideas into words helps clarify them. And when
we have to try several times to explain ourselves, to keep coming up
with different words to clothe the ideas in, it's like working on a
Zen koan, a form of study that leads to breakthroughs into deeper
understandings. (The same is also true of the core theosophical
concepts, with *many* levels to understand them.)

----

                                 Eldon Tucker
                                 eldon@netcom.com