Re: Membership decline

Dec 27, 1999 06:42 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

ramadoss@eden.com wrote:

> At 02:35 PM 12/27/1999 -0800, JRC wrote:
> >Of course a matter of opinion. Many people analyzed the changes - many,
> >including attorneys who fully understood all the legal ramifications of
> >the change, were deeply troubled.
>
> The whole question of bylaws change was done in secrecy and with no input
> from any of the membership or lodge officers. When I got wind of something
> in the works, I wrote to Wheaton if any changes are planned to be put up at
> the annual meeting, I got a response questioning if I am not trusting TSA.

	I don't know about the other Lodges, but the New York Lodge knew about
well in advance, and several Board members and large donors, myself
included (I was a board member at the time), discussed it in detail with
officials at Wheaton, including John Algeo.

> The Boston issue is only just a red herring to deflect any questions.

	Actually, I think that it was a great example of how not to handle a
disagreement, on both sides.

> But for this maillist which is not controlled or controllable by anyone in
> the hierarchy, no one would have known anything other than the official
> sanitized version put out for the consumption of gullible membership who
> have no other means of knowing any additional information. The hierarchy
> has thrived on controlling the dispersion of information for a long time
> until the advent of internet.

	I think that one thing EVERYBODY on this list can agree on is that we
are grateful to John for supplying this list for us (and Eldon for
supplying the other one).

	Bart Lidofsky