Re: Some responses

Dec 14, 1999 10:12 AM
by Drpsionic

<< your own
 protest against traditions' moral legitimacy appeals to what higher standard
 that they fail to measure up to if there is no such thing to appeal to? For
 if there is no thing as
 objective justice, there is no such thing as injustice.

 Grigor >>

Very simple.  I don't believe there is a higher standard.  Justice is a myth
and all these things simply are matters of emotion and power relationships,
nor do I believe that any morality is legitimate or illegitmate.  Morality is
just a big word for fashion.

Now, fashions get accepted by people for different reasons at different
times, but for them to work both parties to the dispute have to essentially
agree on them, otherwise it merely becomes a contest of brute force with the
winner deciding the morality.

For example, consider the papal writings against democracy in the 19th
century.  Their protests fell on deaf ears, not because they were not well
thought out, but because the authority they appealed to had lost its power to
command.

Chuck the Heretic