Re: Question for Eldon

Nov 24, 1999 04:26 PM
by Eldon B Tucker

Grigor:

In the 1890's, the Theosophical Society split in two. One
had international headquarters at Adyar, India, and was
headed by Col. Olcott. The other had its headquarters in
New York City, which soon moved to Point Loma, California.

The Point Loma T.S. was headed by W.Q. Judge, then Katherine
Tingley, and then, from 1929 to 1942, by de Purucker.
(After his death, the Point Loma T.S. fractured into several
organizations, and many members went independent, not
belonging to any group.)

G. de Purucker wrote a number of theosophical books that
provide a certain insight into Theosophy that many find
helpful. I've read and like many of his books. Some of
his students, who have further contributed to theosophical
literature include Geoffrey Barborka, L. Gordon Plummer,
Elsie Benjamin, Helen Todd, and a host of others.

One of his better books is online in acrobat pdf form,
FUNDAMENTALS OF THE ESOTERIC PHILOSOPHY:

     ebooks/fund.pdf

More of his writings can be found online at the Theosophical
University Press site. It's at:

     http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/tup-onl.htm

His writings, and the writings of many of his students,
help form a particular theosophical school of thought,
a particular variant of the basic theosophical philosophy.

-- Eldon