prescient student

Nov 18, 1999 06:18 PM
by ambain

----- Original Message -----
> From: <WLR7D@aol.com>
> Date: Thursday, November 18, 1999 1:44 PM
> Subject: Re: Randy to Alan: the prescient student

> Alan, ok let's try one central idea to theosophy, karma.
>
> Now you can  convince others by mentioning this gospel of how the
great
> guru sage Randy discovered karma while in the spiritual desolation
between
> Bible thumping and theosophy.

I doubt it :0)

> My questions are:
> Why do theosophists believe karma is a law governing this life?

It comes with The Book(s) by Blavatsky and her successors.

> Second, why do they believe it works beyond this life?

Because (mostly) they believe in reincarnation.

> Third, who invented it and why?

Much of HPB's work is clearly derived from Buddhist and Hindu sources,
which teach this doctrine.  As to who invented it, we are unable to
tell, as the *extant* source material is itself either very ancient or
has internal evidence to show that it is derived from even more ancient
sources.  This is why so many Sanskrit or Sanskrit-derived terms are
used.

> Give me the real simple short version and then I'll pursue further
that which
> is troubling.

I hope this is real simple short enough for now.

> Thanks, Randy

My pleasure (but maybe not everybody's).

Alan

http://www.soft.net.uk/ambain/