RE: reincarnation

Nov 16, 1999 04:35 PM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Dallas
dalval@nwc.net=A0

-----Original Message-----
> From: hesse600 [mailto:hesse600@tem.nhl.nl]
> Date: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 2:16 AM
> Subject: reincarnation

Hi Dallas,
You wrote:
> 5.	of these the LOWER group are left to disintegrate with the
> astral body on the astral plane as a kind of 2nd corpse -- if
> left undisturbed by mediums or seance-goers, they fade away and
> as "skandhas" they are distributed to their appropriate place
in
> nature where they have some consubstantiallity.  Period of time
> may be from a few days to several week or months depending on
the
> general "grossness" of the life last lived.  If disturbed and
> reanimated at a seance, an additional life span is acquired by
> this "astral corpse" -- but from descriptions available, the
> sensation it endures are then extremely painful to it, one of
> them compares it to being "skinned alive."   This is why
> Theosophical teachings discourage any attempt at mediumistic
> contact or evoking such astral corpses.  It is out of pity for
> them, and also out of hope that those who dabble in such
contacts
> will not themselves impose such a dreadful experience on their
> "2nd corpse" as it disintegrates.

I will look this up, but I don't recall a timespan given in
the Key, and I am almost certain that it is not in the Key
that it is comparable to being skinned alive, though it is
not encouraged at all, but that was not the point, was it?

The point was, as far as I am concerned that sceances are
no proof of reincarnation, which is something that HPB
agrees with totally in ISIS.

DTB	Your are quite right Katinka,

the time-span may not be in the KEY  and the concept of
being "skinned alive" is one I picked up in another of the
articles -- my memory and I will have to look up the exact
reference if you want it.  Eureka - I found them:

Time-span	Mahatma Letters p. 112. 187  (Barker Edn.)
Suffering in K. Loka	ML 109  132 198-9    (Barker Edn.)
Being "flayed alive"	TIBETAN TEACHINGS  (ULT Edition of HPB
Articles III p. 347)
				Lucifer Sept & Oct 1894 Vol 18, p. 9;   BCW Vol. 6, p. 94

see also  additional references:  Isis I 432-3 449 342-3    ML
187

You are of course right, that the evocation of the astral corpse
(a ghost) does not "prove" reincarnation.  I would not offer it
as a proof of anything else than what HPB says it is -- that
something of the last personality survives for a while.  Of
course in the Akasic records there will be found a complete
record of that life, or of any life, but only Adepts have access
to those.

Best wishes,

Dallas

Katinka