Re: Randy to Alan:logic

Nov 12, 1999 04:12 AM
by WLR7D

Alan--
>We can judge whether a premise is incorrect by evaluating it with reason,
logic, observation, experience
>Direct experience is logical on the face of it.  Since logic is a means to
truth, and direct experience is truth, experience is logical.
>We can judge whether matters are "good" or "right" based upon logic.  This
of course requires a starting point such as, for example, things that are
good create peace and health.

I understand this is taking license with the rules of logic perhaps, but I
think it is important to understand that the only reliable tool we have for
reaching toward truth is our reasoning mind.  Every thought we have, every
experience we assimilate, every emotion we judge, every sentence you write in
reply will be grounded in and filtered by reason.

Every time I get along in a discussion like this with one of you folks I
always wonder whether we agree or disagree.  Playing mishy mush with words
tends to create the feeling there can be no common ground.  Do we agree on
anything?
Randy