Re: theos-l digest: November 03, 1999

Nov 03, 1999 10:32 PM
by kymsmith

Grigor writes:

>What makes you think it is recent.  Doctors of Philosophy in medieval
>universites in Muslim, Orthodox, Roman Catholic coutries wore black,
>Rennaissance doctors wore black, clergy wear black, Ninja wear black, nuns
>wore black, jurists wore and wear black, Lakota winter eagle shamans wear
>black/silver, ....

First of all, the people you name above are not what the general public
consideres action "heroes" in films.  Except maybe Ninjas - but they are
often portrayed as the "bad guys" or extremely violent "good guys."  When
is the last time you saw a black frocked philosopher, priest, nun, judge,
or shaman as the leading heroic character in a movie meant to please the
general public?  I can't recall any right now.

In films of the past, the "bad guy" usually wore a dark color, but
Superman, Wonderwoman, the Lone Ranger, angels, God, Jesus, and the like
are garbed in either in strong primary colors or white.  I'm not saying
it's ALWAYS that way, but Hollywood, which reaches the "masses" (whether we
like it or not), usually matched the character to color.

It's been relatively consistent throughout history - angels are white and
demons are black.  The Devil gives off a reddish-black glow and God gives
off the much talked about "brilliant white light."

There may be nothing behind the change in movie-making or it may be that I
am oversimplifying, but I, the mighty I, think it is a wee intriguing.

Kym