Re: In support of theosophy

Sep 21, 1999 08:09 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

> Alan wrote:
> During my two years as President, I was able to increase attendance at
> public meetings, as well as a slight increase in the membership.
> However, some of the "old hands" of the previous administration did
> not like my approach, which is fair enough, and began to spread
> rumours about my desire for personal glory (!) behind my back, which
> is not fair enough, nor fair at all.

	Yes, I have seen a number of good Theosophists who were driven out by
rumors that too many people believed. At one point, I handled a Kern
Foundation Grant, and in spite of the fact that I added $500 of my own
money to the grant, a rumor was passed around that I took a big fee for
myself. The last time I ran for the New York Board, there was an
organized slander campaign against me. The President of the Lodge made a
speech to the membership, categorically denying all of the rumors. Of
course, he did so AFTER the election... I decided to just keep doing my
work, and ignore the politics. I have felt a LOT better since then
(although I keep getting elected into office of the Northeast Federation
in absentia, albeit with my permission).

> There followed a smear campaign of lies, accusations of sexual
> impropriety,

	THAT I have never been accused of (to my knowledge).

	The Adyar TS is democratically run. In any democratically run
organization, no matter how high its aims, you will find lies, rumors,
and backstabbing. It's just the nature of the beast. If you can remain
active, and don't hold office, everybody likes you a LOT more...

	Bart Lidofsky