RE: Theos-World Re: Blind leading the blind

Sep 12, 1999 01:06 PM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Sept 7th

Dallas offers a modification:

Allow me to say that I only suggest that HPB's writings be used as
fully as possible.

In no way would I suggest that other writings not be considered.  The
essence of Theosophy is the ability to recognize truth wherever it may
be.

I would also observe that whatever path one elects to follow, or adopt
ought to be done with one's eye fully open.

In regard to working or studying under some chosen "Guru," I find the
following suggestion is offered:

	"...at any time, any one its (the Lodge, which contains within its
boundaries all real Masters, students, guides, and Gurus, of whatever
race or creed) real teachers or disciples will gladly help any other
teacher or disciple.  But we are not to conclude that...we, who call
ourselves chela-aspirants or known chelas of any certain person whom
we call Guru, can place ourselves at the same moment under the direct
tutelage of more than one Guru.."  W. Q. Judge,  LETTERS THAT HAVE
HELPED ME,  Letter XIII,  p. 43 (ULT Edition).

One finds that this relationship between chela and Guru is further
described as follows:

	"...from earliest times, among all but modern western people, the
teacher was given great reverence by the pupil...It was among these
people a great sin, a thing that did one actual harm in his moral
being, to be disrespectful to his teacher even in thought.  The reason
for this lay ...in the fact that a long chain of influence extends
from the highest spiritual guide who may belong to any man, down
through vast numbers of spiritual chiefs, ending at last in the mere
teacher of our youth.  Or, to restate it in modern reversion of
thought, a chain extends up from our teacher or preceptor to the
highest chief in whose ray or descending line one may happen to be.
And it makes no difference whatever, in this occult relation, that
neither pupil nor final guide may be aware, or admit, that this is the
case...The Guru is the guide or readjuster, and may not always combine
the function of teacher with it."  [ Ibid, pp. 42-3.  For correlation
see SD I 638-9, 571-3 ]

On this subject one may find further advice:  "Fix your thoughts again
on Those Elder Brothers, work for Them, serve Them, and They will help
through the right appropriate means an no other.  To meditate on the
Higher Self is difficult.  Seek, then, the bridge--the Masters...Keep
up your courage, faith and charity.  Those who can to any extent
assimilate the Master, to that extent they are the representatives of
the Master, and have the help of the Lodge in its work..."  [ Ibid. pp
112-3 ]

It is fairly true that instructions on meditation are not easily found
in Theosophical literature -- I mean as to place, posture, procedures,
etc.  For instance in the 6th Chapter (pp. 46-7) of the Bhagavad Gita,
we find Krishna speaking to Arjuna about this process and there he
makes recommendations so that the process of introspection will be the
least disturbed by outward influences.  Meditation is a thought and an
aspiration toward apprehending the truth and the principles of any
chosen subject.  Patanjali also describes this.

I am placing some notes in CAPS below

Dal