Re: theos-l digest: December 17, 1998

Jan 13, 1999 06:44 PM
by Cybercmh

In a message dated 12/18/98 12:01:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, theos-
l@list.vnet.net writes:

<< Knowing what is right and doing wrong is different, but
 when one DOES NOT know - why should one suffer retribution, especially
 lifetimes apart from the action and the retribution? >>

I'm thinking that retribution should not be confused with consequences - even
when one does not know that one is doing something wrong, there will be
consequences from which one may suffer - one might even say "impersonal"
consequences in the sense that they are not intended to punish but are merely
the reaction of the laws of nature.  For example, you drape a piece of
clothing over your halogen lamp, not realizing that the lamp can get hot
enough to burn the clothing.  Then your place burns down, and possibly you
along with it.  Is this retribution?  No, simple cause and effect.  Or - was
it a bad idea for my father to start smoking when he was young?  Yes, although
he probably just wanted to be "cool" and didn't consider the long-term
consequences.  Is it retribution that my mother now has lung problems as a
result of my father's second-hand smoke?  Nope, just the physical consequences
of breathing in second-hand smoke for decades.
Christine