Some Quotes from Theosophical Sources

Jan 10, 1999 12:10 PM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Jan 10th 1999

These quotes are offered for consideration by us all:

Dallas

==================================

"The first and fundamental dogma of Occultism is Universal Unity
(or Homogeneity) under three aspects."		SD I 58

"Esoteric philosophy teaches that everything lives and is
conscious, but not that all life and consciousness are similar to
those of human or even animal beings.  Life we look upon as "the
one form of existence," manifesting in what is called matter;
or, as in man, what, incorrectly separating them, we name Spirit,
Soul, and Matter."  SD I 49

"The Secret Doctrine teaches the progressive development of
everything, worlds as well as atoms;  and this stupendous
development has neither conceivable beginning nor imaginable end.
Our "universe" is only one of an infinite number of
Universes...links in the great Cosmic chain or Universes..."  	SD
I 43

"Matter is the vehicle for the manifestation of soul on this
plane of existence, and soul is the vehicle on a higher plane for
the manifestation of spirit, and these three are a trinity
synthesized by Life, which pervades them all --...universal
life..."   SD I 49

"The Finite cannot conceive the Infinite, nor can it apply to It
its own standard of mental experiences...The matter-moving Nous
[Mind], the animating Soul, immanent in every atom, manifested in
man, latent in the stone, has different degrees of power;  and
this pantheistic idea of a general Spirit-Soul pervading all
nature is the oldest of all the philosophical notions."	SD I 51

"The idea that things can cease to exist and still BE, is a
fundamental one in Eastern psychology."	SD I 54

"Consciousness implies limitations and qualifications;  something
to be conscious of, and someone to be conscious of it.  But
ABSOLUTE CONSCIOUSNESS contains the cognizer, the thing cognized
and the cognition, all three in itself and all three ONE."	SD I
56

""Every Soul-endowed man is an ANUPADAKA in a latent state.
 ANUPADAKA:  "parentless," or, without progenitors is a mystical
designation.  [They are also named]  Dhyan
Chohans...Dhyani-Buddhas... [and] correspond mystically to the
human Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. ]  SD I 52
[ see also:  HPB Articles Vol. II p. 271, "the perfected being;
TRANSACTIONS, p. 50-52 ]

"When MAHAT [Universal Mind] develops into the feeling of
Self-Consciousness - "I" - then it assumes the name of
Egoism...which means when MAHAT is transformed into the human
Manas [Mind]...and becomes AHAM-ship  [ I-AM-ness ]."		SD I 75

"There is but One Universal Element, which is infinite, unborn,
and undying, and that all the rest- as in the world of phenomena
[our World] - are but so many various differentiated aspects and
transformations (correlations...) of the ONE, from Cosmical down
to microcosmical effects...then the first and chief difficulty
will disappear and Occult Cosmology way be mastered."		SD I 75

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought, all that
we are is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts.
If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows
him like his own shadow which never leaves him."	Gautama Buddha
DHAMMAPADA  [ Footfalls of the Law - p. 1  Verse 2 ]

"He reviled me, he beat me and then conquered and plundered me."
Presses such thoughts tie their mind with the intention of
retaliation.  In them hatred does not cease."  ( Verse 3 )

"In this world, never is enmity appeased by hatred;  enmity is
ever appeased by Love.  This is the Law Eternal."		[ Verse 5 ]

"Those who live in the pleasure-ground of fancy, see truth in the
unreal and untruth in the real.  They never arrive at TRUTH."
 Verse 11 ]

"Whoso lives pursuing pleasure, his senses unrestrained,
immoderate in eating, indolent, devitalized-him, verily doth Mara
[The demon of Temptation personified] uproot, as a gale uproots
an ill-rooted tree."	[ Verse 7 ]