Some Quotations from Theosophical sources

Jan 03, 1999 01:06 AM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Jan 4th 1999-	January 4th being the Theosophical New Year

		NEW YEAR

HPB in writing in LUCIFER on the New Year said:

	"Let no one imagine that it is a mere fancy, the attaching of
importance to the birth of the year.  The astral life of the
earth is young and strong between Christmas and Easter.  Those
who form their wishes now, will have added strength to fulfill
them consistently." ...Let no one mistake the importance and
potency of numbers--as symbols.  Everything in the Universe
was framed according to the eternal proportions and combinations
of numbers.  "God geometrizes," and numbers and numerals are the
fundamental basis of all systems of mysticism, philosophy, and
religion.  The respective festivals of the year and their dates
were all fixed according to the Sun--the "father of all
calendars" and of the Zodiac, or the sun-god and the twelve
great, but still minor gods..."	HPB -- THE YEAR IS DEAD
	ULT - HPB Articles I p. 504

	"The 3rd day of the month was sacred to Pallas Athene, the
goddess of Wisdom;  and January the 4th is the day of Mercury
(Hermes, Buddha), who is credited with adding brains to the heads
of those who are civil to him...December the 25th was the day of
the birth of the sun for those who inhabited the Northern
hemisphere..."       ( - idem, p. 505 )

	"According to our theosophical tenets, every man or woman is
endowed, more or less, with a magnetic potentiality, which when
helped by a sincere, and especially by an intense and indomitable
will--is the most effective of magic levers placed by Nature in
human hands--for woe as for weal.  Let us then, theosophists, use
that will to send a sincere greeting and a wish of good luck for
the new Year to every living creature under the sun...Let us try
and feel especially kind and forgiving to our foes and
persecutors, honest or dishonest..."	HPB  "1890"
	LUCIFER, Jan 1890, Vol. 5., p. 357.
	ULT HPB Articles II, p. 495

	"If, for generations we have "shut out the world from the
Knowledge of our Knowledge," it is on account of its absolute
unfitness;  and if, notwithstanding proofs given, it still
refuses yielding to evidence, then will we at the End of this
cycle retire into solitude and our kingdom of silence once
more...We have offered to exhume the primeval strata of man's
being, his basic nature, and lay bare the wonderful complications
or his inner Self...and demonstrate it scientifically...It is our
mission to plunge and bring the pearls of Truth to the
surface...For  countless generations hath the adept builded a
fane of imperishable rocks, a giant's Tower of Infinite Thought,
wherein the Titan dwelt, and will yet, if need be, dwell alone,
emerging from it but at the end of every cycle, to invite the
elect of mankind to co-operate with him and help in his turn
enlighten superstitious man.  And we will go on in that
periodical work of ours;  we will not allow ourselves to be
baffled in our philanthropic attempts until that day when the
foundations of a new continent of thought are so firmly built
that no amount of opposition and ignorant malice guided by the
Brethren of the Shadow will be found to prevail."
			Mahatma  Letters,  p. 50-1

		Transition Cycle

	"We are the bottom of a cycle and evidently in a transitory
state, Plato divides the intellectual progress of the universe
during every cycle into fertile and barren periods...We are in a
barren period  the eighteenth century during which the malignant
fever of skepticism broke out so irrepressibly, has entailed
unbelief as an hereditary disease upon the nineteenth.  The
divine intellect is veiled in man;  his animal brain alone
philosophizes."   													ISIS I 247
[WQJ I 211, LET 71-2, OCEAN 4, 50 55, 126, IS II 366-9]

	"...I told you long ago to expect many and great disturbances of
all kinds as one cycle was closing and the other beginning its
fateful activities.  You already see in the seismological
phenomena of late occurrence some of the proof;  you will see a
great many more and shortly..."			M L 396

	"The ultimate origin or beginning of man is not to be
discovered, although we may know when and from where the men of
this globe came from.  Man never was not.  If not on this globe,
then on some other, he ever was, and will ever be in existence
somewhere in the Cosmos.  Ever perfecting and reaching up to the
image of the Heavenly Man, he is always becoming."							OCEAN
p. 127

	"The object of [the] amalgamation and precipitation is to give
to every race the benefit of the progress and power of the whole
derived from prior progress in other planets and systems...Nature
never does her work in a hasty or undue fashion, but, by the sure
method of mixture, precipitation, and separation, brings about
the greatest perfection...Hence man did not spring from a single
pair.  Neither did he come from any tribe or family of monkey...7
 races of men appeared simultaneously on the earth..."
OCEAN  p. 122-3

	"...man came to this globe from another planet, though of course
then a being of very great power before being completely enmeshed
in matter, so the lower kingdoms came likewise in germ and type
from other planets, and carry on their evolution step by step
upward by the aid of man, who is, in all periods of
manifestation, at the front of the wave of life...This is the
point where the intelligent aid and interference from a mind or
mass of minds is absolutely necessary.  Such aid and interference
was and is the fact, for nature unaided cannot do the work
right...It is Man who does this.  Not the man of the day, weak
and ignorant  as he is, but great souls, high and holy men of
immense power, knowledge and wisdom...just as every man would now
know he could become...Various names have been given to these
beings now removed from our plane.  They are the Dhyanis, the
Creators, the Guides, the Great Spirits, and so on by many
titles..."				OCEAN  p. 130-1

	"These cycles, according to the Chaldean philosophy, do not
embrace all mankind at one and the same time...the metaphysical
views of Plato were based upon the strictest mathematical
principles...(p. 7) geometry, of all sciences, the only one which
proceeds from universals to particulars was precisely the method
employed by Plato in his philosophy..."

 	"...The sacred numbers of the universe in their esoteric
combination solve the great problem (the cosmological theory of
numerals which Pythagoras learned from the Egyptian hierophants,
is alone able to reconcile the two units, matter and spirit...)
and explain the theory of radiation and the cycle of the
emanations.  The lower orders before they develop into higher
ones must emanate from the higher spiritual ones, and when
arrived at the turning-point, be reabsorbed again into the
infinite."					ISIS I  6 - 7