[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Re: Public Access to Non-Profit Info

Nov 02, 1998 06:00 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

M K Ramadoss wrote:
> Organizations which are incorporated in a foreign country cannot get tax
> exempt status in this country. Nor can they receive the assets from a US
> tax exempt organization when the latter dissolves. There are some foreign
> organizations such as TS, Adyar 

	The TSA is incorporated in the United States. Do you realize that you
are advocating the harrassment of not-for-profits into non-existence, by
the way?

> In understanding tax law, think of Uncle Sam as your financial partner.
> When any income is received, Uncle Sam get his share. When you get a tax
> break Uncle Sam chips in his share. So when you contribute to a tax exempt
> deductible contribution, Uncle Sam is your partner. So Uncle Sam is the
> partner who has an investment in the tax exempts, which means your and my
> tax money is supporting all tax exempts.

	That's closer to a communist point of view (where the state has the
right to all your money, and gives you what it thinks is fair) than the
American point of view (where taxes are a fee paid to the government for
services rendered).

	Bart Lidofsky

[Back to Top]

Theosophy World: Dedicated to the Theosophical Philosophy and its Practical Application