Re: theos-l digest: November 16, 1998

Nov 20, 1998 05:21 PM
by Cybercmh

In a message dated 11/17/98 12:01:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, theos-
l@list.vnet.net writes:

<< But once we begin to say one
   interpretation is right to the exclusion of others, then all the splits
   start to happen. >>

I think this is what happens when we confuse beliefs  with The Truth.  Then
anyone who disagrees with us is "in error," and we have the right to correct
them - or exclude them (or worse) if they don't measure up to our definition
of The Truth.  This is the root of many evils committed in the name of
religion.  We may believe that our beliefs are most likely The Truth, but I
think that once we insist on our interpretation to the exclusion of anyone
else's, we begin to tread on dangerous, arrogant territory.
Christine