Some intersting quotaions from Original theosophical sources

Jun 29, 1998 03:25 PM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

June 29th

Dallas offers a few more quotes for consideration:

>From HPB on the T S :

"...the Theosophical Society...It is a brotherhood of humanity,
established to make away with all and every dogmatic religion
founded on dead-letter interpretation, and to teach people and
every member to believe but in one impersonal God;  to rely upon
his (man's) own powers;  to consider himself his only saviour;
to learn the infinitude of the occult psychological powers hidden
within his own physical man;  to develop these powers;  and to
give him the assurance of the immortality of his divine spirit
and the survival of his soul;  to make him regard every man of
whatever race, color, or creed [as a brother], and to prove to
him that the only truths revealed to man by superior men (not a
god) are contained in the Vedas of the ancient Aryas of India,
Finally to demonstrate to him that there never were, will be, nor
are, any miracles;  that there can be nothing 'supernatural' in
this universe, and that on earth, at least, the only god is man
himself."

"It lies within his powers to become and to continue a god after
the death of his physical body.  Our society receives nothing the
possibility of which it cannot demonstrate at will.  We believe
in the phenomena but we disbelieve in the constant intervention
of 'spirits' to produce such phenomena.  We maintain that the
embodied spirit has more powers to produce them than a
disembodied one.  We believe in the existence of spirits, but of
many classes, the human spirit being but one class of the
any."  -- HPB:  "She Being Dead, Yet Speaketh" -- PATH, June,
July, August 1892.
(ULT HPB Articles I, pp. 116-7)

HPB on "loyalty" :

"H.P.B.is loyal to the death to the Theosophical CAUSE, and to
those great Teachers whose philosophy can alone bind the whole of
Humanity into one Brotherhood.....Therefore the degree of her
sympathies with the "Theosophical Society and Adyar" depends upon
the degree of the loyalty of that Society to the CAUSE.  Let it
break away from the original lines and show disloyalty in its
policy to the CAUSE and the original programme of the Society,
and H.P.B., calling the T.S. disloyal, will shake it off like the
dust from her feet.....
There is no longer a "Parent Society";  it is abolished and
replaced by an aggregate body of Theosophical Societies, all
autonomous, as are the States of America, and all under one head
President, who, together with H.P.Blavatsky will champion the
CAUSE against the whole world.  Such is the real state of
things.....Madame Blavatsky does not owe the slightest allegiance
to a Council which is liable at any moment to issue silly and
untheosophical ukases.....It is the two Founders and especially
the President, who have virtually sworn allegiance to the
Fellows, whom they have to protect, and teach those who want to
be taught, and not to tyrannize and rule over them."   -- HPB  "A
Puzzle from Adyar."  LUCIFER, Aug. 1889
(ULT --- HPB Articles, Vol. 1, pp. 219-220)

"I never gave myself out for a full-blown occultist, but only for
a student of Occultism for the last 35 or 40 years.  Yet I am
enough of an occultist to know that before we find the Master
within our own heart and seventh principle--we need an outside
Master....I got my drop from my Master (the living one);  you,
because you went to *****.  He is a Saviour, he who leads you to
finding the Master within yourself.  It is ten years already that
I preach the inner Master and God and never represented our
Masters as Saviours in the Christian sense."  -- HPB Letters
quoted in PATH, Vol. X, p. 367

"...[ the Brothers are everywhere ] ...silent, secret, retiring,
and who would never divulge themselves entirely to anyone, unless
one did as I did--passed 7 and 10 years probation and given
proofs of absolute devotion, and that he, or she, would keep
silent even before a prospect and a threat of death.  I fulfilled
the requirements and am what I am, and this.....no one can take
away from me."  --- HPB
( Letter on Masters, and the early days of the TS in America and
India.  PATH  Vol. X, pp 370-1 )

Offered in the hope of evoking thought and discussion

Dallas