Re: Does the Theosophical Society have a Doctrine?

May 11, 1998 03:20 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

Bart Lidofsky <bartl@sprynet.com> writes
>       Now, given that there are a number of representatives of a number of
>Theosophical Societies here, I would like to know who agrees or
>disagrees with the statement given above (The Theosophical Society has a
>teaching or set of teachings, which the individual members can either
>accept or reject as they see fit), and, more importantly, why.

The statement is, to those of us who have been there, a self-evident
truth.  The *attitude* of many - often "high-ranking" - TS organisational
theosophists is, however, often far less objective, and newcomers can
be made to feel that they are expected to study these teachings (and
why not?)  and *then* accept these teachings (why?).

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Working for a New Age:
http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
E-mail: TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk