Niemoeller quote re: digest 1459

Mar 13, 1998 05:22 AM
by jim meier

They first came for the Communists
and I didn't speak up --
because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews
and I didn't speak up --
because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I didn't speak up --
because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics
and I didn't speak up --
because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me --
and by that time no one
was left to speak up for me.

                   --  Pastor Martin Niemoeller (Nazi victim)

This is available in poster form from NORTHERN SUN, PRODUCTS FOR
PROGRESSIVES; catalog 800 258 8579; www.northernsun.com

Nothern Sun offers a variety of buttons, shirts, cards, etc., many with
humorous/witty positions.  I have several in my workplace as "Goodwill
alternatives" to the typical motivational corporate art.  Please note: this
is a catalog for people who are generally pro- choices-generally- labeled
-as-leftist/liberal.  Political conservatives might be offended by the
offering of a T-Shirt with John Stuart Mill's famous quotation, "Although
it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people... it is true that
that most stupid people are conservative."

Jim