An idea

Feb 16, 1998 03:17 PM
by Thoa Tran

John:
>Actually, this entire situation gives me a good chuckle ... to see the
>underlying assumptions implicit in the discussion. Why should the
>*membership* of *any* non-profit "democratic" organization need to
>*petition* or lobby the *leadership* to pay attention and communicate with
>it? Why should members need to organize a "massive campaign", or try to
>convince any person or persons? In every non-profit I've worked for ... the
>*leadership* is generally trying to persuade the *membership* to come
>online, to try to communicate with its membership through every possible
>channel.
>
>Our leaders seem to sit as Kings and Queens on their thrones, maybe open to
>receiving petitions from us commoners - but I don't think the membership
>should for a moment *buy* that attitude. The leadership is *elected* by the
>members, for the purpose of *serving* the members ... and they seem to have
>forgotten that.  *They exist to serve us - we do not exist, and pay, for the
>privilege of serving them*. *They need us, we do not need them*.
>
>I personally don't think the membership should concern itself with getting
>down on bended knee and trying to humbly persuade the leadership to do what
>it is already their duty to do. I personally think its about time to throw
>the whole autocratic lot of them out the window before the entire society
>goes under.
>
>The next election should be very interesting - there is widespread and
>growing sentiment throughout the TS that the Emporers and Empresses ...
>suddenly appear to have no clothes. -JRC

John,

I like to have the policy that if things are not working out, then do
something to change it.  If both sides are stubborn, then nothing moves.
We can only control ourselves and not others.  Thus, the person doing the
moving should be ourselves.

I also think that the time for action is now, not waiting for something
eventful to happen in the future.  Suppose the future election ends up not
to your liking?  Will you wait for the next one?  Meanwhile, everything
goes into further decline?

Thoa :o)