Re:

Feb 10, 1998 11:10 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

John E Mead wrote:

> what are you talking about?  the question was *what* major differences?
>
> apparantly Elizabeth would never *be seen* on TI-L because of some moral
> standard (or whatever it is you were using for the comparison) ??

    I don't know what Elizabeth Trumpler would do on TI-L. I do know she used
to be present on THIS list, and has not posted in a long time, and had assumed
that she no longer reads the list. From Dr. Bain's messages, it would appear
that TI (which he has specifically stated is NOT the same thing as TI-L) was
created at least partially as a reaction against policies and politics in
various other theosophical organization (in the sense of, "don't complain about
it, DO something about it", or, "if you don't like it start your own
organization"). Based on how he was treated in England, I consider what he did
as something very positive; there are many paths to the same place (and some
would say "Truth is a pathless land"...).

    However, as far as I know, not a single official of any other Theosophical
organization has yet to join TI. If Elizabeth Trumpler, the head librarian at
Olcott Center, joined TI, it would be a significant event, not because of her,
but because of her position, her influence, and her reputation. It would be
like the difference between John Mead joining and John Algeo joining (well
maybe not in degree, but in kind).

    Bart Lidofsky