Re: Original Inner Group

Dec 23, 1997 09:05 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 10:18 PM 12/23/1997 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-12-23 you write:
>
>>The original Inner Group formed by HPB consisted of twelve men and women.
>>Has anyone seen in HPB's Collected Writings or other writings as to what
>>kinds of lifestyle restrictions -- vegetarian food, no use of fur or
>>leather, abstinence from alcohol etc were imposed on the twelve.
>>
>>MKR
>>
>>PS: I do not have access to HPB's CW.
>>

>To the best of my knowledge, there were no restrictions whatsoever.  And,
>considering that neither HPB nor the Colonel were vegetarians, it is doubtful
>that that was required.
>As far as fur or leather or concerned, unless they wanted to freeze to death
>buck naked at that time, such requirements would have been out of the
>question.
>
>Chuck the Heretic
>

>The inner circle was asked to refrain from eating meat, but they were
neither required to be vegetarian, nor was a purely vegetarian diet even
suggested; a diet of fish and vegetables was recommended. I recall reading
nothing about fur or leather (remember, back then there really weren't viable
substitutes). Alcohol was prohibited, but moderate use of tobacco was
allowed.

    Bart Lidofsky

MKR Replies:

Thanks for the responses.

This question came up when I was reading a quote from Practical Occultism.
One of the key statements was the key emphasis on the need to approach life
with the best interests of Humanity.

On the other hand, after Annie Besant took over the ES, there was a strict
emphasis on vegetarianism etc. The simple question was why HPB did not seek
a very strict regimen from her close followers. Was she wrong?

These are questions that may be worth looking into from a historical
perspective.

mkr