Re: What's right?

Nov 13, 1997 03:10 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

M K Ramadoss wrote:
> Here is another angle. If what I am doing is not harming anyone, then it
> does not matter whether it is right or wrong in some one else's view (which
> of course may be colored by tradition, philosophy, experience etc.)

	But when you quote someone from one mailing list in another, you don't
know whether or not you are doing harm, regardless of your beliefs. You
can shoot a gun into a street, not knowing whether or not someone will
get hit by the bullet. But you are still culpable. Cross-posting a
message without permission can easily harm people's reputations. If you
don't wish to cause harm, then why not simply ask permission before you
cross-post. If you don't, then that means that you believe the answer
might be "no", and therefore you are disregarding the possibility of
harm.

	Bart Lidofsky