Re: Theos-World Re: Alleged "Squelching"

Oct 31, 1997 01:35 PM
by M K Ramadoss (by way of ramadoss@eden.com)

There is some interesting traffic on theos-talk. Here is a msg I just posted

mkr

K. Paul Johnson wrote:

> [...]
problem
> > here?
>
> I assure you that there is no such thing as official
> endorsement in the TS, that book sales were just fine thank
> you, and the "real cause of the problem" depends on what you
> think the problem is.  By the way, Dr. Algeo's attacks on the
> book came far too late to impact sales, which had already
> peaked.  They may have hurt the sequel though.
>
> >      Given the conclusions of Mr. Johnson's book, it is and was highly
> > unrealistic for him to expect the praise of those who see the Master's in a
> > different light.   Non-endorsement is not the same as "squelching!"
>
> Agree 100%.  But what happened to Tillett was definitely
> squelching.  And the vehemence of Dr. Algeo's remarks, which
> came close to accusations of heresy, verged on squelching
> but did not cross the line.  Adyar's choice to run an article
> with the book's name, but which in fact did not refer directly
> to the book and simply indirectly dismissed the entire field of
> inquiry, was definitely squelching.
>
> snip
>
> >      In short, anyone who seeks the public's attention by speaking or
writing
> > must be thick-skinned enough to realize that he will never find universal
> > acceptance, much less the overwhelming endorsement of those charged with
> > protecting the current wisdom.
>
> You have erected a straw man from the very beginning of your
> post, and you keep beating away at it mercilessly.  But none of
> this has much of anything to do with the issue at hand.
>
>   Mr. Johnson should grow up.
>
> Thank you for your personal concern.
>
>  He should
> > publish his findings for their own sake and for the good that he belives his
> > truths may offer others.  For Mr. Johnson to quit the Theosophical Society
> > because his divergent ideas were not officially endorsed, and because he
> > received the criticism of  a few Theosophists, a criticism that he must have
> > anticipated, greatly lessens his stature in my eyes.
>
> I did *not* resign from the TS for that reason at all, but
> allowed my membership to lapse in the wake of the by-laws
> changes and a host of unsavory revelations about Adyar and
> Wheaton.  It lapsed just last winter, long after all this
> happened.  You misread this too:  what I said was that I felt
> perfectly comfortable in the lodges in DC and Baltimore, and
> the whole Mid-Atlantic region where
> I am known (and where my ideas have never been officially
> endorsed, and in fact people are freely critical of them) but
> that I felt exiled insofar as attendance at national
> functions goes because there were so many people so filled with
> fury and outrage.  That alone would not cause me to resign if I

> continued to have faith in the organization.  Had you been on
> theos-l you would have been aware of all the issues that caused
> quite a number of people to lose faith in Wheaton and Adyar,
> which had nothing to do with me and my writings.

   Glad you mentioned theos-l discussions. For anyone interested in the
various issues relating to the administration of TSA, there was a wealth
of information none of which is available anywhere else. I hope anyone
open minded would take time to visit the archives and see for themselves
and make up their own mind -- independent thinking and decision making
which is supposed to be the hall mark of a thinking Theosophist.

> My experience with the TS--Adyar has been about 90% positive,
> and my "problem" is with the authoritarian way the top
> officials think and operate.  Part of that is their tendency to
> try to control members' thinking and I am only one small
> beneficiary of that large problem.
>
> Since you are being so free with such personal criticism it
> would be nice to know who you are.
>
> PJ

One thought occurs to me. Was the writer of the msg from Atlanta, in any
shape or form, either directly or indirectly, suggested or recommended
or encouraged or provided info or ideas, edited, scripted by *anyone* in
the TSA Administration in Olcott to write the response? If so, I would
in the least be surprised!!!!

mkr