Is Karma Politically Correct? Is the World?

Oct 19, 1997 08:14 AM
by JOSEPH PRICE

What I find so wearisome about exoteric religions is that there idea of divine
justice whether represented in a system of sin and forgiveness or karmic
action and reaction can be used to justify what the leaders of the movement
want for their society.  Such leaders have been the FOLLOWERS of Mohamed,
Chist, Budda, Lao-Tse, Confusious, and a whole slew of modern gurus and
teachers.

Theosophy seem to offer the hope that underlying the outter is an inner truth
that would be universally true dispute the differences in factions and
pressure groups.  I think the value of Krisnimurti, is his constant
reiterating that TRUTH IS A PATHLESS LAND.  I am afraid this means, dispite
attempts to make HPB the arbiter of ulitimate truth (I mean she could have had
a slip of the pen when she was getting it all from the Masters, you know) that
we are forced to define the good, the true and the just on an ongoing basis in
our daily lives.  This is were such ideas of THE VOICE OF THE SILENCE as an
inner guide to daily struggles.

To bring this down to earth, I was thinking about a certain individual in our
lodge that has been in the soicety for decades and has spent much time at
Adyat etc. who is absolutley sure that he has never been incarnated as a
woman.  I at first dismissed this with bemused contempt mixed with tolerance
until I examined my own core beliefs and his possible motivations.  The new
age mumbo jumbo seems to imply, though not directly state, that we will or
have incarnated in every race, religion, geographic area, sex, class, job
title, race ad absurdum.

Some teachings I have read, mostly the periprial commenators of theosophy or
whatever like Alice Bailey (excuse me if I am wrong I am just using her as an
example), seem to imply that we are on a RAY.  This ray has a special purpose
and does not change from lifetime to lifetime although outter circumstances
vary greatly.  This RAY acts like a SOUL or SOUL RAY and is guided by a whole
set of principles and overseen by a specific Master.

Now, as I thought about it, I wonder if I will ever know or should know.  I
mean what if he were right.  This may explain a lot of things.  I mean we may
be on a certain ray and incarnate in a difficult situation where it is
difficult to express those energies.  I am thinking of for instance a Ray that
if one is say an artist, one may incarnate with all the money in the world,
but arthiritis or deafness etc. or one may be poor, but need to create despite
the lack of food and shelter (starving artist syndome).  One may be very rich
and give it up like Buddha or very poor and claim to be the King of Kings like
Christ.

On a more physical leve, one may be on a masculine ray and incarnate in a
female body ( a possiblity for lesbians).  One may have high ethics and/or
morals or just be an outcast and so join resistance movements which involve
quasi-crimal/revolutionary actions.

The mushy version which I prefer, is that we all get to play all the parts
because we are in essence the author or co-existant with all that is which is
the author.  The RAYS come from one UNIFIED LIGHT.

I think as humans with highest spirit in lowest matter, we are torn between
alligence to group norms and the indiviual path.  This seems to be the essence
of most discussions about "why can't we all just be friends?".

What have you learned from your readings or life experience?

Namaste
Keith Price