Re: Battle between paper and cyber version

Jul 29, 1997 07:14 AM
by A. Safron

----------
> From: techndex@pacbell.net
> To: Multiple recipients of list <theos-l@vnet.net>
> Subject: Re: Battle between paper and cyber version
> Date: Monday, July 28, 1997 2:34 PM
>
> It's fascinating how this issue is being discussed on so many lists, so it
> is a biggie. On scientific lists people are weighing the pros and cons of
> putting scientific journals online. (Right now, many scientific journals
> are putting only tables of contents and maybe abstracts of articles on the
> Web). On an indexers discussion list, my colleagues are fretting about how
> this will affect us, whose livelihoods depend on paper publishing.

Thanks for your insightful post.  While scientific papers may go online,
it is possible that  the popular books may stay on the shelves, since
people are willing to pay for them.  Many book written by celebrities
along with a ghost author are being sold.  I purchased one recently.
The wife of Steven Tyler, lead singer for Aerosmith, divorced from her
husband, decided to trash him royally in 209 pages.  The kicker is that it
was published by Dove books.  This is but one example of the many
celebrity biogrophy and autobiographies that are being  published,
along with the I-knew-him-for-two-days and am going to make some money off
the sucker type of literature.

Ever visit the endless wall of romance novels?  Fabio is makiing
millions.

The point here, is that there will be some books, although truly on
the astral, that people will pay money for and the publishers are not
going to put it on online.

A. Safron