Re: Money, argument, logic

May 27, 1997 04:52 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

kymsmith@micron.net wrote:

> something to me. . . I would love to go to a Theosophical class, but to
> plead poverty is embarrassing, nor do I want to feel that the Lodge is using
> me for the daily "good deed" of almsgiving.  I would so love to attend the
> event with the Dalai Lama, but it is clear that will certainly not occur in
> the near future.
>
> Sometimes, all the 'poor' have to fight with is morals.  We don't have
> facts, charts, graphs, statistics. . .but we have the disappointment.
>
> And we have the longing.

	If the longing is great enough, then you will not be embarrassed to
plead poverty. My wife and I used to take in handicapped foster
children. We supplemented the care the state was willing to provide with
superior, private therapy, although it cost are more than the money the
state was willing to allot. We managed to get through by making much of
the otherwise expensive therapy equipment ourselves, going to raw
materials suppliers and begging and cajoling for scraps that could be
used to build the equipment. Yes, it was embarrassing, but to watch a
child who was called hopelessly blind learn to see, or a child who was
told that he could never walk run, it was worth the momentary
discomfort.

	Bart Lidofsky