How, Why, and the Younger Generation

May 14, 1997 05:53 PM
by Thoa Tran

Some thoughts on this topic:

1.  It is more effective to get to the Why through the How.

2.  The younger generation is usually physically strong and vigorous,
mentally curious, and emotionally intense.  Thus, the younger generation
would be more attracted to experience that will touch on all of those
aspects.   That is the natural process of development.

3.  The T.S. is not very attractive to the younger generation.  The
focusing on the Why leads the T.S. to focus mostly on publication,
lectures, and study groups...ZZZZZ...and one wonders why people are
apathetic.  It is easier to read books and log on the internet, and then
go out and have a roaring good time!  Why join the T.S.?  ;o)

4.  Using more of the How does not necessarily have to lead the student
astray.  As an example, I enjoy how Yosemite National Park have made
their most difficult mountain climbs accessible to regular folks, and
yet have stayed close to the experience of mountain climbing and
nature.  Basically, nature is there, it has been made accessible and yet
still dangerous, and use your common sense when dealing with nature.
There is not a deluge of warning signs for the hikers.  Perhaps elder
theosophists, if they are highly aware of the Whys and the Hows, can be
the leading mountaineers that paved the paths of Hows for the novice.

5.  Organizations that are active and full of experiential Hows are more
attractive than organizations that just offer Whys.  Would I rather
commit myself to an active organization that has clear steps toward a
particular cause, that spurs camaraderie among people joyfully uniting
for a purpose, and that helps me develop intense experience through my
participation...or...would I rather commit to an organization that just
tells me what I should be without any guidance as to how to go about the
goal.  I think I would be more attracted to the first organization.

6.  Lack of openness for whatever reason only causes more apathy.  Maybe
for my own good, I'm not supposed to know certain things.  Or, it could
be that for my own good, I'm supposed to figure it out on my own.
Chances are, if I do not receive any feedback, I'm not going to care.
Period.

7.  Another way of being humble is being open.  That is, a person is
humble enough to reveal all that s/he knows.  Revealing all leaves one
open for contrary opinions.  It also reveals one's ignorance.  To me, a
person taking such a chance is more humble than one who is reticent in
order to keep his/her honor.  Being proud of one's accomplishment and
talking about it does not necessarily mean bragging.  It is a way of
saying that one has made the effort, and that effort has resulted in
success.  Thus, this is an inspirational way of focusing on "effort."

Thoa