Theory vs Practice

May 12, 1997 04:40 PM
by Gerald Schueler

>But in contrast to the spiritual exercises
>or rituals found in many religions, Theosophy looks
>sparse indeed.

I agree.  Actually, we had a debate on this subject
some time ago, and I believe that everyone, pretty
much, agreed (even Eldon, as I recall) that the TSs
were big on theory, but lacking on practice.  Many
theosophists have left to form their own groups for
this very reason (Dion Fortune, for one: she said
that theosophy was the theory, while magic was
the practice).  I just read an interesting book on
the Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor (SUNY Press)
and they also taught that theosophy was the
theory, while they (i.e., magic) provided the
practical applications.  Altruism and Karma Yoga
are nice, but not enough to take heaven by
storm, I am afraid.  Theory has to be demonstrable
in order to make it meaningful.

Jerry S.
Member, TI